Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Name regret

I am having mild regret with MN-Jude. I never loved it but DH does. I won't change it because I am not overly worried about it.

I love Nova it was on the short list if we had a girl. But this is your baby girl. I agree with others that using Daphne as a MN is a good idea.

Advertisement

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I'm not having name regret but I'm already annoyed because people keep pronouncing "Arie" as airy - like air-e. WTF. How do you get "airy" out of Arie?!

Even the peds office did it this morning when I called to make the appt. I feel a little bad for DS because I grew up with an unusual name that people can't seem to read and pronounce properly. I did not want the same for him and Arie seemed like it read easily. I guess not. :/

Personally, I like Nova better but what's important is what you and your family love. I link a lot with names, and DH and I both immediately thought of scooby doo, so for us that name would be out. As a name itself though, it's very pretty.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I'm not having name regret but I'm already annoyed because people keep pronouncing "Arie" as airy - like air-e. WTF. How do you get "airy" out of Arie?!

Even the peds office did it this morning when I called to make the appt. I feel a little bad for DS because I grew up with an unusual name that people can't seem to read and pronounce properly. I did not want the same for him and Arie seemed like it read easily. I guess not. :/

Personally, I like Nova better but what's important is what you and your family love. I link a lot with names, and DH and I both immediately thought of scooby doo, so for us that name would be out. As a name itself though, it's very pretty.
Are-ee, right? Thats how i say it in my mind.

My oldest keeps calling bennett, luke. As in luke skywalker obiwan "ben" kenobi benjamin. Literally.

Dh wanted benjamin lee and i vetoed that. His mn, brays mb and fil mn are all lee.....enough with the lee.

So nova is beautiful. Nova daphne is very nice too. I think it will grow on you
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
Nova is a really beautiful name. I would personally stick with it.
But I'm sorry you are sad, it could be hormones. I'm sure your daughter will not be heartbroken...
Thank you. DH thinks it may be my hormones as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasK View Post
If it makes you feel any better I think Nova is a way better name than Daphne, no offense to any Daphnes. I love gender neutral names. I love unique names. Nova is a name that when she meets people they will remember her, and I think Nova sounds stronger than Daphne. I let my dh name the boys and I day dream all the time about them having the names I chose, so we all can have a little buyers remorse in the name game. Who's to say if you chose Daphne you wouldn't think of her as Nova? I really do love Nova, where did you come up with it? My daughter has three names since we couldn't agree, can u just insert Daphne into her middle name somewhere?
I found Nova in a baby book and on some baby name websites. We could add Daphne as a middle name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrosie View Post
I had a hard time after naming dd. for months I thought about changing her name. But I didn't and now I am so glad that I didn't change it. It fits her perfectly, no one I have ever met has ever even heard of her name before, and everyone loves it. So you might settle into nova after a while, or you might decide that she is more of a daphne and it matters what the rest of the family thinks. Both names are nice, you just have to decide which fits your family better
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
ddc.

I think the more you say her name the more comfortable you'd be with it. And it will fit her well
Thank you Erica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
First of all I LOVE the name Nova! How gorgeous!

I agree with adding Daphne in the middle. Daphne is a cute name and if you really regret not naming her Daphne then you should talk to your DH about changing it do what you think is right. I think Nova is much more unique though
I think Daphne as a middle name is a good idea.

Quote:

I'm sorry your son's name is being mispronounced. My older daughter's name is still mispronounced by many people (including both sets of grandparents!).
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I agree with this, it's kind of hard having a unique name- they called my daughter in for her first appointment and called her "Abriellie" ummmm wth? People tend to not pay attention but once they get it they love it and never forget. They never forget her name now, it goes with her and her personality So don't worry pp Arie is great, some people can't read ! And to the OP- so is Nova. If you orignally chose Nova I'm sure it will get better with time- try not to second guess and don't stress too much. I do agree about the middle name- add in Daphne if you like that as well. That way you can always call her either! My uncle goes by his middle name and alot of people in the south do this. Either way both are great!

Oh yes and my daughter's name is not Abriellie...it's Aubrielle
Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I love Nova. But Daphne is really cute too! Daphne actually would have been on our girl name list... if we hadn't named a stupid cat that years ago Totally ruined the name for us!

I love them both. And both go really well with Josephine, IMO. If you are really feeling strongly that she is Daphne and not Nova, I would go through the hassle of changing it - although you could just start using Daphne at home without having it officially changed, too, kwim?

FWIW, I had a hard time for the first couple days with Piper. I love it, but I wasn't sure it was her. Our other name choice was Evelyn Ann - would have called her Evie. I really liked that. But I did let DH choose, and I know it was more than liking Piper that made him choose it, it felt right to him.
Now, she is Piper. Or Pipes, from DS2 And I keep calling her Pip-squeak
And part of it, too, was that I kept thinking of her as Hiccup
Even after I filled out the paperwork, I was worried it wasn't right. But it feels right now.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedssupport

Are-ee, right? Thats how i say it in my mind.

My oldest keeps calling bennett, luke. As in luke skywalker obiwan "ben" kenobi benjamin. Literally.

Dh wanted benjamin lee and i vetoed that. His mn, brays mb and fil mn are all lee.....enough with the lee.

So nova is beautiful. Nova daphne is very nice too. I think it will grow on you
Correct!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
Nora+6
Registered Users

Quote:

To be fair, the pronunciation you're going for is usually spelled "Ari". I would probably assume as well, that by adding the "e", you were going for a long "A" sound.

As for name regret with Nova. If you truly want to change it, go for it. With my third child, we loved a specific name but felt odd about using it since we had two friends with young toddlers of this name. So, when she was born, we off-hand chose a different name. Instantly, we regretted it. Four days later, she had a new name. Almost 19 years later, she is neither traumatized by the name change or by sharing it with my friends' daughters. She thinks it's a fun story to tell, in fact. Her birth certificate says "Blank Blank Blank", formerly known as "Blank Blank Blank".
Nora+6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora+6

To be fair, the pronunciation you're going for is usually spelled "Ari". I would probably assume as well, that by adding the "e", you were going for a long "A" sound.

As for name regret with Nova. If you truly want to change it, go for it. With my third child, we loved a specific name but felt odd about using it since we had two friends with young toddlers of this name. So, when she was born, we off-hand chose a different name. Instantly, we regretted it. Four days later, she had a new name. Almost 19 years later, she is neither traumatized by the name change or by sharing it with my friends' daughters. She thinks it's a fun story to tell, in fact. Her birth certificate says "Blank Blank Blank", formerly known as "Blank Blank Blank".
I didn't add the e, Arie is the correct original Dutch spelling and how it's pronounced. People changed it over time to Ari as a females name, and then people began naming even their daughters Arie with the e.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Wait... Arie isn't pronounced 'airy?'

How is it pronounced?