Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #31
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller

Names are so flipping hard!! I can see your side of things OP, I think your idea to give it some time is great. Honestly, I have a hard time calling my newbies by their name in the beginning. It's almost like it's not my place to put a name on this brand new person. Like it's too great a responsibility. Weird, I know. I force myself to say it and it has always worked out fine.

I must admit Mom2connor that I said "airy" in my head too AND thought it was a girl because of the "ie". Sorry. Now that I see how it should be said, I totally get it. I have a boy named Reagan, which has really gained popularity for a girl, but I get defensive because it means 'little KING' for crying out loud. Yes, he will probably have to correct people. But, I bet he'll have a great personality to be able to handle it. When we decided on Reagan, we said 'well, he'll just have to have the personality to make it work' and he totally does.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #32
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Name regret

I like my daughters name but I am irritated that I spelled it with two R's it just seems unnecessary now and I wish I had just used one. And to top it off DH wanted to use one R. so I understand the regret. I do like Nova better than Daphne.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #33
peep_erz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

DH and I joked about using Seamus, but then "pronouncing" it James. Or using Ian but saying John. Just to confuse people
We have the same joke bur more ridiculous. Spell the babys name R-O-B-E-R-T but pronounce it Judy and you can call her Sam for shot.
peep_erz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #34
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaLove88 View Post
Don't worry mama, I agree. I saw it and said it right the first time. To me "Airy" would have to be Aerie, Airey, Airee, etc. Are is essentially "R" not air...add in an i and its Arie. Seems pretty simple to me!

Looked it up, proper and listed way to pronounce is:
Pronunciation: (AH ree) **
Maybe it's a regional thing, having to do with accents and such. I would never think to pronounce it ARE-ee unless someone told me. To me, it seems more similar to "aerie" than anything else, and that's why it would be my tendency to say it incorrectly.

Potato, poTAHto!

It's frustrating, I'm sure. My son's name, my name, and our last name all have to be spelled every single time in order for it to be correct. Our name ends in "ntz" and it sounds like it would be "nce."

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Sorry I am feeling defensive ! I really had no idea people would think it was airy. I am worried I saddled him with a lifetime of frustrating name correcting. Gah
I don't get the "Airy" mispronunciation either, but in all honesty, and I swear I don't mean this offensively, SOMEONE will mispronounce your kids name. My name is pretty mainstream but old fashioned and its crazy! Marjorie (Mar-jor-y) not hard right? I've been called Ma-jor-y-ah, May-jory, May-JOR-y, Margaret (for crying out loud), May-jor-ah, Major-y.... and don't even get me started on my maiden name!!!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #36
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP, what did you decide to do?
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra

I don't get the "Airy" mispronunciation either, but in all honesty, and I swear I don't mean this offensively, SOMEONE will mispronounce your kids name. My name is pretty mainstream but old fashioned and its crazy! Marjorie (Mar-jor-y) not hard right? I've been called Ma-jor-y-ah, May-jory, May-JOR-y, Margaret (for crying out loud), May-jor-ah, Major-y.... and don't even get me started on my maiden name!!!
Yeah, I know it's "different" but I'm shocked how many here think it's Airy. Makes me wonder how many in my area will read it the same. And your name sounds how it reads to me too!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #38
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

And OP, I am so sorry. I promise I wasn't trying to take over your thread....
Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #39
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410
OP, what did you decide to do?
I'm still not 100% sure. It sounds like others have a bit of an adjusting period, so perhaps that's what is going on. We were just so sure with our last daughter's name that it was so easy.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
And OP, I am so sorry. I promise I wasn't trying to take over your thread....
No problem; I don't mind at all. I'm not sure how I would pronounce his name if I saw it on paper before knowing the pronunciation. But once people hear it, they should have no problem with the pronunciation. Delia's name is mispronounced a lot, and my name was always spelled wrong (Rena instead of Rina).