Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #41
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
My Mood:
I'm crashing here but couldn't help commenting, first off I LOVE your name choices both Nova and Daphne, Delia also-beautiful. We had Daphne picked for a girl but went with another name instead.

I also had an adjustment period w my kids names.

FWIW I named my kids names with normal spellings that are pretty easy to pronounce because-I swear I'm the original Chloe in a hick town I don't know what my mom was thinking but I'm still traumatized from this day! Knowone could spell it, pronounce it or even heard of it for that matter, I'm in my 30's. So when everyone in your class is Amanda, Jennifer, Kelly-etc. it was tough to say the least!!!!

Oh and Also sorry but I thought it was Air-y also

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Dalai Lama
Happy Mommax4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #42
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Name regret

Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post
I'm giving it a few more days. I'm having such a hard time calling her Nova, and so is DH. We both keep calling her DD2's name.
That's a totally normal thing to do, not really a reaction or anything to her name. We've always ended up calling the new babies by the older kids' names!

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Sorry I am feeling defensive ! I really had no idea people would think it was airy. I am worried I saddled him with a lifetime of frustrating name correcting. Gah
Meh, he'll get used to it.
I wasn't sure how you were pronouncing it, and was going to ask today actually, but then saw this thread!

Originally Posted by peep_erz View Post
We have the same joke bur more ridiculous. Spell the babys name R-O-B-E-R-T but pronounce it Judy and you can call her Sam for shot.
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #43
Registered Users
My Mood:
Okay, I can see how it could be R-ie now. I was confused on how it could be, but I see it now.

I definitely was thinking of aerie as well.

I don't think it's a huge deal, once people know, they'll know.
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #44
Registered Users
OMG! I have to tell a funny story! In my phonetics class in university, I had a professor who was full Cherokee (American Indian). She was such a monotonic, BORING professor. Anyway, one day she was telling us how her cousin LOVED the English name "Edward," and then she phonetically wrote on the board her cousin's pronunciation. She proceeded to stand at the front of the class and write out and very slowly pronounce what amounted to "A TW*T." She stood at the front of the class, NO recognition of what she was saying! After a minute or more, quite literally, of saying "a tw*t, a tw*t, a tw*t," I finally spit out my water, trying not to laugh! The stifled laughter spread amongst all the students in the room as we realized she truly had NO idea what she was saying was so taboo, bless her heart! I started choking and had to leave the room! I was laughing, choking, and crying! I had real tears rolling down my cheeks! It hurt to laugh!!!

Each time I think of name pronunciation, I think of that!

Last edited by mommypockets; 04-23-2013 at 05:56 PM.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote