Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Am I a good candidate? (Sorry, long!)

So, here is my story. I am 5'3 and 125lbs not pregnant. I went into labor with my first son at 430pm on a Tuesday. Labored at home for awhile. Went into the hospital at 230am on Wednesday. Water broke at 4am after lots of walking. Was admitted at 3cm. Labored for awhile with no pain meds. Was checked and still at 3/3.5cm. They decided on pitocin and I decided on a epidural. Feeling good, slept. Checked at 7am and was at 4cm. Checked every hour and never changed. Fast forward to 630pm on Wednesday. Baby is fine, I'm fine, never got past 4cm. My doc starts talking about csection. He doesn't push it because baby was doing great but says that he would like me to think about it before get into a situation where baby is not doing great. He says, he does not think I will progress much more and that I will have to have one anyway. So we have a csection. LOTS of bleeding. Baby was a whopping 9lbs 10 ounces. Great experience all around. Let me hold him right away and baby breast fed like a champ in recovery.

Fast forward to now. I am pregnant with my second. My doctor discusses options but my husband jumps in and states that we will have a repeat csection. I was on board until my doc starts talking about all the scary stuff that happens when you get to a fourth csection. I didn't get a chance to ask any questions about a vbac because my husband is VEHEMENTLY against it. He thinks it is too dangerous and does not want me to go through a 24 hour labor again. I am going back in a few weeks and will go without my husband because I want to discuss vbac with my doc.

I'm impatient so I decided to ask you ladies! What do you think he will say? I am not opposed to a repeat csection, but we are die hard Catholics who do not believe in bc and I am only 28. I'm afraid that I will have my 3rd c section down the road and be faced with an unexpected 4th pregnancy and be at a hi risk for all the scary stuff. I just want to have the option of having 4 or more children if I can.

If you got to the end, yay for you! Thank you!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I a good candidate? (Sorry, long!)

First of all, your doctor is jumping the gun on the 4 c-section thing. My mom had 7 without complications. Her 8th, however, did get complicated.
And then again, I have a friend who had 1 section, and began rupturing before labour really started with her second (she was experiencing some mild prelabour and bleeding heavily). When her third was born, she and the baby both had a very close call, because her uterus began to split again.
There is NO MAGIC NUMBER of c-sections that is safe or not safe. Apparently Ethel Kennedy had 11 c-sections without any issue. You and your doctor need to see how your body heals each and every time, and evaluate from there.
About a VBAC though, I'd say there's no reason why you can't. If you decide you want to try, there is plenty of research you can show your husband to assure him that it is a very safe option, and in fact, carries less risk for you and baby than a major surgery. (which a c-section IS.)
Since he is so apprehensive about this, I'd definitely recommend that you get a doula who is experienced with VBACs. Get in touch with the ICAN network. Read Ina May Gaskin's book, (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth) and The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. (can't remember who wrote that one right now...)
Make sure you are checked for gestational diabetes, and even if you pass the test, consider going on the GD diet. It's quite healthy anyways, and it will help make sure that your baby is growing healthy and well, but hopefully not becoming too large.
Finally, if your doctor is reluctant to go with a VBAC plan, then I'd certainly get a second opinion, and see if you can see a midwife, not an ob. From what you've said there is absolutely no reason why you can't try again and succeed. Many doctors are just really uptight about VBACs and put way too many restrictions on a mother making an attempt for her to actually succeed. If you want a successful VBAC, you've got to push for being allowed to go overdue, no inductions, and no continuous monitoring. Try for a birth center if you possibly can.

All the best with your pregnancy and delivery!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds to me like you are a very good candidate for a VBAC. The doctor is right about the risk jumping a lot after 3 c-section, though. The risk of infertility and placental issues with the next pregnancy starts going up a LOT.

Do you know if your baby was posterior? That may have had an effect on your not dilating. The bleeding is probably related to the long labor and pitocin. It's very hard for the uterus to contract effectively when it has been stimulated to produce contractions for SO long.

You don't lose anything by giving VBAC a chance, and there are a LOT of advantages for you and the baby. Mode of birth does affect colonization of the intestinal tract and can have life-long consequences. Obviously there are risks for you also. Check out vbac-facts.com and ICAN for real stats that will help you make an informed decision. Your husband needs to see the numbers, probably.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would keep your options open but If my husband was that against it and I couldn't change his mind to where he was at least semi comfortable with it, then I would have the repeat c-section. I need/want my husbands support.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
I would keep your options open but If my husband was that against it and I couldn't change his mind to where he was at least semi comfortable with it, then I would have the repeat c-section. I need/want my husbands support.
This. I think in your situation I would try for a VBAC, but I would also want DHs support.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is what I am scared of as we'll. I think it is going to Very hard to get my dh on board. I have to go at him with all the info. I think my doc will be very on board. He knows my concerns and is all for people having as many children as we want to. He really is great. I just want to make sure everything is safe before I proceed. I did not have gd nor was I at risk.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just thought I'd clarify - when I suggested a doula, I didn't mean instead of your DH! Of course you'll need his support! But, if he's thinking "I said yes, we'd try this, and I hope she can do it, but I'm still scared" and you're thinking "I really want to do this, but I don't know if I can", you NEED someone there who can say "You can do this. I've seen others do it, and there's no reason you can't. You're doing great, and everything is just fine."
Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Baby's position and your pelvic alignment can pay a role in how directly baby's head applies pressure to the cervix. If your pelvis is out of alignment and baby isn't in the ideal position it can keep them from applying enough pressure to actually dilate the cervix.

If you do pursue vbac, I would strongly encourage you to get regular chiropractic care from someone who is trained in working with pregnant women, study up on spinningbabies.com for tips on positioning and correcting malpositioning, and find an experienced doula who will be able to support you emotionally and practically (with positioning and comfort measures) during labor.

Vbacfacts is an AWESOME resource! :-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can you get your husband to talk rationally to the doctor about the risks of a c-section vs. the risks of a VBAC? I think that because c-sections are so common, many people tend to overlook the risks and side effects associated with them, especially if you are thinking about having 3 or 4 - or more - children.

I don't think you have anything to lose by trying for a VBAC. It sounds like there were a number of factors in your first birth that contributed to your c/s that won't necessarily play a part in your next birth - big baby, epidural, etc.

Good luck.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

Maybe talk to him about statistics too...the increased risk of rupture for a VBAC is like .3 percent more than a "normal" person with No scar.

My story is posted below in this section if the forums, but I was induced after my water broke and my very medically minded doctors were amazingly supportive. More so than I thought they would be.

I would read up and try to explain the risks to your husband. There are lots of things to consider. Risks to you AND the baby.

Most importantly, make a decision you are comfortable with. Remember to pray and keep God a part of the decision making process.