Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Low progesterone #'s, and progesterone suppliments, wwyd? Loss mentioned

Everything I have read online has said that taking progesterone after a positive pregnancy test will not prevent miscarriage, but may delay a missed miscarriage. Does anyone have any experience or success with progesterone supplements taken after a BFP?

Back story: I miscarried last Oct. (my 3rd m/c) and because I had really low progesterone they wanted me to come in right away when I got pregnant next time and get tested. I am 6 weeks now and my progesterone is 9.4, Hcg is 2,504. They proscribed progesterone pessaries and regular testing to check the levels. I have been taking the supplements, but after reading about progesterone not helping, I don't know what to do.

Right now I am so bummed out, and I am torn between taking the progesterone supplements and delaying the inevitable, or letting things happen naturally. Does anyone know or have links to good sites talking about preventing low progesterone and remedies to help boost progesterone levels?

One site I looked at suggested clomid to start the cycle and taking progesterone from ovulation on, but I've heard so many mama's having twins from clomid that it scares me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't have first hand experience taking progesterone for pregnancy, but I discussed it with my RE when ttc our second child (I had had three mc in a row previously). Basically she said the data is hard to analyze to know if it really helps BUT the important thing is it CANNOT hurt anything so why not try it?!

And my personal knowledge of the purpose of progesterone in early pregnancy is to sustain the pregnancy until the placenta takes over producing the necessary hormones around 9 weeks or so.

I vote take it mama, it certainly can't hurt! Best wishes for a healthy sticky bean, I'm so sorry for your previous losses.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Low progesterone #'s, and progesterone suppliments, wwyd? Loss mentioned

Thanks smblake and for your losses!

I should clarify, I'm worried that a missed miscarriage would be worse than having a miscarriage when it's supposed to happen. My best friend developed a blood infection from a missed miscarriage, and had to be hospitalized.

I should add that I have no pregnancy signs anymore, no more morning sickness, tender breasts, heartburn or anything. We are waiting on the second labs to come in to see if the #'s are increasing.

Last edited by rumblepurr; 04-24-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
newcdmommy29
Registered Users
seller

I've taken progesterone for 3 out of my 4 pregnancies. My first was a missed miscarriage that we didn't use progesterone. The second pregnancy was also a loss...we were on progesterone but still had a miscarriage (we did chromosomal analysis and found out that baby had something called triploidy-so progesterone wouldn't have saved that pregnancy anyway). The 3rd pregnancy was a healthy pregnancy and my progesterone was very low. I actually did the injections for 32 weeks because my body didn't take over production like it should have. My daughter is almost two now. I'm currently pregnant again and took prometrium for 21 weeks before my body got the message to produce enough progesterone. This baby is due June 13th. I have a very strong feeling (as does my ob and midwife) that I would have no babies born healthy without progesterone.
newcdmommy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we do IVF and I have done progesterone each cycle. They always put me on it around day 16 of my cycle, but we are skipping ovulation all together obviously

In a natural cycle, if you are charting, I would start it a few days after you know you have ovulated that way you will be all set and have it in your system should an embryo try to implant. I have been pregnant twice, one resulted in a healthy baby (took progesterone until 12 or 20 weeks,..cant remember) and the other was a loss at 6 weeks, also while on progesterone. I would certainly take it, it cant hurt!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've done IUI & IVF & have had progesterone w/ each cycle. I've had a couple of chemicals & a 6-wk m/c. In my cycles w/ the chemicals or the bfn cycles, my progesterone stays low. My m/c cycle, it was high, stayed high even after the hcg stopped doubling, & I was off it for several weeks before I started bleeding. I'm on it this cycle & it has stayed high w/ this bfp. I really think it helped support pregnancy, but didn't cause anything abnormal.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For all your losses.

Thank you for all the great information! It really is helpful to hear about others experiences with progesterone!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've taken progesterone the last 3 pregnancies. First pregnancy on it resulted in DD. The second pregnancy on it resulted in a m/c. The third pregnancy I'm 22 weeks along.

Progesterone will only help if there is nothing "wrong" with baby. It will keep a pregnancy going if it was meant to be.

With my m/c on the progesterone...I bled at 5.5 weeks (which mind you I bled at 5.5 weeks with ALL of my pregnancies, minus DS). Then did an u/s at 7 weeks and baby was 6wks 2 days. So thought baby was just small. Then at 9.5 weeks along I hemoraged horribly at the grocery store (with my kids in tow), passed out, and needed emergency surgery to stop the bleeding.

it's so hard being pregnant after a loss

praying that everything will be okay and you'll be holding your little squish in 9 months
Swag with me! Bing it!

Last edited by stevensmom; 04-24-2013 at 04:46 PM.
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Stevensmom, and thank you. Your post gave me some hope! I had a hemorrhage with my last miscarriage, but I was at home. I can't imagine being in a store and having that happen ! I'm so excited your Opidy is doing well I love all the things you've made for him!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Update: Got the labs back and the hcg didn't quite double but it was close at 4,400. I am going to keep taking the progesterone. Thank you all for talking me down yesterday!