View Poll Results: Did you try and avoid Listeria with all your Pregnancies (which you were aware)?
Yes 18 24.00%
No 55 73.33%
What's Listeria? 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you go out of your way to avoid Listeria with all your Pregnancies?

Did you go out of your way to avoid Listeria with all your Pregnancies (or at least all your were aware of what Listeria is)?

I was really good about it with my first and with my second, I've known I was pg for 5 weeks and I've not been good. I want to change but ug it sucks.

Things like heating lunchmeat, overcooking steaks/beef, avoid soft cheeses and sushi.

The odds of getting Listeria in the US should be pretty low... but still.. I know.. I was just curious if I was the only one not being "good".

Please comment especially if you say No as to why you don't bother.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 04-24-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Did you try and avoid Listeria with all your Pregnancies?

With my first 3 pregnancies it was never mentioned, they were over 10 years ago so I don't know if it just wasn't a big deal then or what. So no, for my first three pregnancies I ate whatever I wanted. Because of that, and the fact that we didn't get sick, I wasn't super cautious with my last two pregnancies. I tend to lose about 15 pounds in the beginning so really anything I thought I could keep down I would eat it.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

No. You're chance of getting listeria is 12 in 100,000. So it's not a big risk to me. Also the guide lines for cheese, which is the only "risky" food I consume, are ridiculous. Pasteurized cheese, soft or hard, is safe. Cheese aged of 60 days, soft or hard, is safe. I wish I could get raw cheese! It's hard to find.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't eat lunchmeat, but no way would I overcook a steak!! lol. The chances of getting listeria are a lot higher with greens that aren't properly washed. I didn't worry about it.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nah I eat sushi, drink raw milk, eat soft cheese and lunch meat. I usually buy from reputable sources though.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Nope, I never worried about that with any of my 4 kids. I just ate what I liked and wanted in moderation. I never changed any of my dietary habits for any of my pregnancies. Everything in moderation. That's my feeling anyways.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

No. I don't eat sushi but we eat a lot of sandwiches for lunch if we don't have dinner leftovers, and I don't really care for warm lunchmeat.

My 1st pregnancy I was still eating ruined (well done) steak and meats in general because it's how I grew up. Over time though DH taught me the greatness that i in properly cooked meat lol so now things like steak I eat medium rare to the rarer side. So pregnancy number 2 I ate good meat, not ruined lol.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Somewhat...I saw DP through her pg; the first thing she wanted after delivery was a sub sandwich . I thought it was weird then, but after only a few weeks w/o lunch meat, I totally get it now. I'm actually struggling to get enough protein now...I'm picky, so I don't eat any fish, seafood, or beans. I try to get in some chicken or some other kind of protein most nights for dinner, but lunches are hard. My go-to for years has been salad w/ deli meat on it. Now I have no idea what to do.

Last week, I had veggie sushi & a bowl of soup for lunch before I realized that I probably shouldn't have had the sushi I also still eat my beef medium (I prefer medium-rare, so medium is an improvement). I check & make sure all my soft cheeses are pasteurized.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I generally try to avoid Listeria, period

But, no, I don't change my eating habits just for that reason while pregnant. I eat sashimi (from reputable sources) and raw-milk cheeses, rare steak, the occasional hot dog (nitrate-free), and salami on occassion. I'm not a big lunchmeat person normally, anyway.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No, I mean I'm not gonna go eat at a sketchy sushi place or anything. But I eat shell fish, honey, soft cheese, lunch meat, sushi (all cooked, but it all gets made witht he same cutting board and knife) there really isn't much I avoid during pregnancy.