Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #31
princessgirl409
Registered Users
seller

I am not sure how I feel about this. I home school and expect my kids to be responsible for their own stuff. That is a life lesson. I try to teach my kids that they cannot blame others for their carelessness.
And to cause other children's work to suffer or other parents to spend money they may not have because one child can't keep up with his/her supplies is ridiculous!
What ever happened to "Johnny, you still have no pencil so you will not be able to do today's lesson. The bad grades that follow will be dealt with at the appropriate time."?

I can't imagine my husband going to work tomorrow and being told that because of Coworker X's lack of motivation and failure to do his work, everyone else must work overtime and get this coworker's work done.
My dh is a super nice guy, but he's only going to pick up some one else's slack one or two times.

There comes a time when a child needs to learn responsibility and I find school age to be the perfect time!

Advertisement

dd 4/09 dd 1/11
dd 12/13 (24 wks) expecting twins 1/15
princessgirl409 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #32
Shaunam
Registered Users

Re: Class of woodchucks!! Mean Parent?

My kid is in 2nd grade...so a little older...perhaps the kids are little more mature and responsible...but I only sent in one pack at the beginning of the year and that's all I've been asked for. They also pool some of the supplies and I think the teacher just keeps REALLY good tabs on everything because our list was short and reasonable. DS has asked for an extra box of crayons because he was missing a few of his. And he asked for another notebook because he said he only had a few pages left. But that's it. The teacher didn't actually ask for anything.

I know in his class they do not keep their pencils. All of the pencils are put in a bin on each table and they are put back at the end of the day. DS never comes home with one in his backpack.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #33
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We were sent a list and an order form for the local office supplies store with all the things they need on it. Then we could just enter a code and ALL the things will get boxed up and sent directly to the school. It was $70 worth of stationary, books, pens, glue etc.

I just sucked it up and did it, figured we aren't paying school fees. I am 100% sure that we cover 50% of the families who do not even bother to do it or can't afford it. I figure it's charity. I can afford it, we are not well off, but we don't really give much in other ways so $70 a year is really not that bad. We don't get asked to get supplies at other times of the year, but I do think each class has a budget for extra stuff. Then again whenever I have extra stuff at home, recycling etc, we take it in to be used for art projects etc.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #34
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh and... sorry I don't mean to be mean here, but who doesn't have a couple of dollars to spend on pencils? Really?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #35
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Oh and... sorry I don't mean to be mean here, but who doesn't have a couple of dollars to spend on pencils? Really?
My friend is raising her family of seven on $17,500 a year. She doesn't have an extra two dollars for more pencils. She has to budget very well to put food on the table. If you aren't in such a position, that's great. But many people are. We live on a pretty small budget ourselves, and though I could find an extra two dollars I'd rather not spend it if I don't have to because I could put it to better use somewhere else.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #36
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
It's not about the $2. It's the principle of the matter. Where the heck are all these pencils going? Or is it one person supplying everyone else's kids with school supplies?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #37
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
We have been in that financial situation, as I am sure others have as well. It is not easy to try to decide which bill to pay late so you can buy groceries. Buying school supplies for everyone elses kids falls pretty low on my list of needs.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #38
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

My step daughter teaches third grade, and she said less than half the students bring in any supplies for the year at all, so the rest of the parents are supporting those who don't want to do it.

But, less than half her students come to meet the teacher night, or parent teacher conferences, so it could just be the area.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #39
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I do what I can if I have the funds. One year I can send in extra clorox wipes and crayons. Last year was much tighter so I did the lower cost stuff like crayons. I figure once I've chipped in a few times then that's enough.

For those of you who don't have school age kids it's a huge money pit once your kids start school - I'm going to say private and public school as I have a friend in private and it is even more so.

For example my kids just started a new school due to move, second day of school got a page saying show who your fave teacher is by sending them xyz gift. Cute I thought......they normally do some teacher appreciation thing through the year in all schools/preschools I've had kids in. Well then it said the minimum you could do was $15. Hmmmm.....I love our teachers but I sure wish they had an amount like $5. Especially for those with a few kids in school, plus I always do an end of year gift for them all. This year double as I did the teachers when we left and will do again here at end of school year.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #40
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by Leanbh; 04-23-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Leanbh is offline   Reply With Quote