Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What is your most difficult parenting challenge......

The other thread made me think how lucky I have been(and always realized this) that I never had a colicky baby. I always feared this but had very "easy" babies. DS4 or DS2 didn't STTN until 10 months but that wasn't there fault(one was bad eczema other just wanted to be with me and nursed).

So my biggest challenge has been DS1. I love him dearly and he cracks me up, but I always say he is the type of person I would love as a friend but is very difficult to parent.

Very very active.....doesn't listen, doesn't remember, constantly loses things(water bottles at school, watch, sweater). Out of our 4 kids we spend the most time on him STILL and he is 9!!!!

Otherwise it's two of the kids in speech for phonological issues.....I realize this is not a huge deal and one is almost done.....I see light at the end of the tunnel and all that, so not too stressed as when I first got into it with the first guy.

So:

Difficult to parent/highly active DS1 and speech with other two

What are yours?

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: What is your most difficult parenting challenge......

My biggest parenting challenge is myself.

I have a total lack of patience. It's a huge personality flaw I struggle with. I am just not a patient person.

I have to work really hard EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. to be patient with my kids. If I have a bad day, I feel really guilty for a long time. Being impatient makes me a crappy mom, and I know it.

I'm probably one of those moms other people look at and think "Why did that lady have kids?" The truth is, I totally love being a mom. I love my kids. I enjoy them a whole lot.

But I just can't seem to get the patience part down. I wish I were better at this.

My kids are all awesome. I can't complain about them at all. They have their days and moments. But they put up with me, so I can't much complain about them!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My biggest struggle is putting my marriage before my kids. I know that I should spend the time to be a devoted wife, but my loyalty is always with my kids. I have been given a lot of advice that parenting is easiest when the marriage is the first priority, but I can't do it. I want to spend every minute with my kids and could care less to do things with my dh if the kids aren't involved. For their sake I need to put their dad as my priority....i guess. My dh is only home on the weekends and it's hard for me to let him take over "our routine." The result is the kids don't listen to him and well as they do me and we should be a united front with the kids. It's a work in progress.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

My dd2 has been my most challenging parenting experience so far. She is only 4 months but for the first 3 months she was basically inconsolable. Screamed all the time took hours to get her to sleep. Was just unhappy. I spent a lot of days crying and thinking it might have been a mistake to have another baby Then I weighed her and she hadnt gained any weight since her last checkup. So I realized my poor girl just wasnt getting enough to eat. Boy did I feel awful. I felt like all this time I was complaining and whining about what a difficult baby I had but she was just starving. Now that we have delt with my supply issuse she is better. She is still sometimes difficult but my dd1 almost never cried so she really is probably more like a normal baby.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
My biggest parenting challenge is myself.

I have a total lack of patience. It's a huge personality flaw I struggle with. I am just not a patient person.

I have to work really hard EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. to be patient with my kids. If I have a bad day, I feel really guilty for a long time. Being impatient makes me a crappy mom, and I know it.

I'm probably one of those moms other people look at and think "Why did that lady have kids?" The truth is, I totally love being a mom. I love my kids. I enjoy them a whole lot.

But I just can't seem to get the patience part down. I wish I were better at this.

My kids are all awesome. I can't complain about them at all. They have their days and moments. But they put up with me, so I can't much complain about them!

We all lose the patience bit.....

I clicked on this the other day on pinterest as the picture looks exactly like my DS3.....to the point that DH was checking out my pinterest and said....doesn't that look like DS3!!!! Anyway, if you click it, it's a blog about not yelling for a year, lady has 4 boys too funnily enough.....but it seriously made me cry when I read the first intro.....some good tips if you are interested.

http://pinterest.com/pin/143130094380105991/

Scarlett's mommy - and so the parenting guilt begins, never really ends, we can only try our best and figure it out as we go.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd have to agree w alot of the previous mammas, it is very hard to be patient and set a good example day in and day out, also taking time out for my DH-that's improved now as kids are abit older and sleeping in their own beds, yay!!!!!

We've also had a difficult newborn who would ONLY go to my DH and I, turns out she was almost blind d/t undiagnosed b/l cataracts and probably only identified us by smell.

After all of that and tons of other stuff I'd have to say having a 13 yo daughter is my biggest challenge, I love her and she's a wonderful young woman but I really wanna strangle her some days, lets be honest most actually!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I could write a book about my challenges. I am my own worst enemy and tend to be overly critical of myself. That being said our DS1 is so very challenging to parent. He has an "emotional disturbance" and just is frankly not a reasonable person the vast majority of the time. I have a worked in various capacities/settings with special needs children and adults. I have been a parenting mentor and am able to help other families but can't help my own child and family. My very dear friend has 2 kids on the spectrum w/ other health issues so I feel like I just need to buck up kwim? Leaves me feeling a bit isolated though.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
My biggest parenting challenge is myself
This, exactly. I am the kind of person that can be happy and gregarious and totally extroverted - mostly. But sometimes I just really want to be left alone and not touched/talked at all. the. time.
9/10 days I love coming home to DD and playing with her instead of doing chores or cooking dinner. But that 10th day... I have probably been talking all day long and just want some silence and a few mins of peace. Not gonna happen.

And I have little to no patience. Again, 9/10 it's not a problem, but the odd day always leaves me feeling like a horrible mom and horrible parent. And then I have a glass of wine and I feel like a horrible PERSON (omg why do I need wine to calm down, etc).
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

DD2. She is 2.5 years old and just has to learn everything the hard way! She has to just push to see what happens!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Mental health. 4 of my kids have mental health issues ranging from (anxiety, add, OCD, odd, autism, SPD) My 7 year old had the first 5 years of her life strip her of a normal toddler hood (she has a rare neurological disorder).

Some days are really tough, but they are my kids and so much fun to be with. I try hard to make sure I get mommy alone time and time with DH. That said my kids are really well behaved and do what we ask of them. It definitely is hard to raise kids with mental health problems. .
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote