Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Reasonable expectations for a 15 year old?

I now have a 15 year old girl living with us. We're working on a list of expectations for one another. What she needs of us, what we need of her. Those of you with 15 year olds, what kind of chores do you expect them to do? What else do you expect of them? Certain grades? Curfews? Basic rules?

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Our most important rule is to NEVER lie...always tel the truth. We also are vey open with our kids.

That said my 15 year olds were responsible for cleaning her bathroom, her bedroom. They also take turns sweeping and vacuuming. At that age they washed their clothes mostly. They just helped me around the house.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

My teens (one will be 15 this summer) are responsible for their own laundry, hand wash all the dishes once a week, do a big chore once a week, watch the little ones (either while I get stuff done or actually babysit), cook simple meals, feed themselves (like I don't make them breakfast or lunch), do their best in school, tell me where they are going to be (well ask me before), clean up after themselves.....can't think of other things right now

my droid RAZR HD is responsible for the contents of this post

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 04-23-2013 at 09:56 AM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Here is what mine does:

Clean room once a week
Her own laundry
Kitchen cleanup
Dishes (She empties another loads)
Fold laundry (household)
Put away groceries when we get them.
Help with little kids when needed. (Very seldom)

Do her homeschool every day. She has to have good grades but since we homeschool it's different. If she were in school again we would expect As and Bs.

My 15 year old prefers to stay in so she doesn't have a curfew, but my almost 15 year old 2nd DD has a curfew of 9:30 during the week and midnight on the weekends.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Mrs.Os
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reasonable expectations for a 15 year old?

I have a number of kids this age in my life, not ours not living with us but I know what their parents do. I know they expect them to help out with anything that could be their responsibility: keeping their own spack clean laundry organized rinse their dishes and put them in the dishwasher empty their trash on garbage day. Assess what needs to be recycled and not just toss it. Help and be kind to younger children. They have to go to school and stay out of trouble. They aren't allowed to go anywhere with anyone that you don't know and have said each time it's ok. They are allowed cell phones but their parents can look at them. They aren't to lie or steal or be unpleasant, they're old enough to get a job if they'd like in our area so they can make that decision on their own. School nights any parent approved outings can only happen if homework is done and they need to be home for dinner unless its a dinner thing then they can be home by bed time. They aren't allowed to be secretive and they need to make their parents aware of what they need in advance so they can decide what they can have $ wise. On non school nights its bit really kerfew as much as things are cleared with parents each time and they don't fight about it and they are allowed through that to feel very free. These kids are all very social and well adjusted and can find enjoyment at home and with other good kids. Good luck I hope you find what's right for you. 15 year olds can be interesting and really its hard to know what's going on all the time. Consistency is key to maintain that its just silly to act out because this should be an easy time in life. A job sometimes helps them learn the value of time and $
Mrs.Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
She was already our babysitter before moving in, so we're asking her to maintain the same schedule and we'll maintain the same pay. In addition to that, we're thinking:
Keep her room clean
Participate in general tidying
Dishes once a week
Do her own laundry
Maintain current GPA (3.5), nothing lower than a C
Curfew of 10 on school nights, 12 on other nights, curfew also means no guests in the house past that time without advance permission
No guests without permission when DH and I are not here
And basic respect, no lying, no law breaking, no skipping school, etc.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote