Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Mrs.Os
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Shampoo & conditioner question/ dish soap question- help

Hi I have 2 questions.
I have an organic/ chemical free house hold. We're also moving so I'm cleaning house and were ditching anything that's squeezed through the cracks here over the years. Turns out dh has been just buying hypoallergenic shampoo and conditioner over the last say 6 months. He has a coconut allergy and says he's tryout it lol. Well this stuff has nasty ingredients, he of course thinks its fine because its just him but I like him and I don't like the nasty soap scum it leaves that I have to remove before anyone else goes in there. So it can't come with us. So I need a hypoallergenic coconut free all natural at least but preferably organic shampoo and a conditioner lol, his hair is long sometimes and he likes conditioner. I don't want to spend a ton but a bulk type item is fine like I could buy or make a ton of something if the cost was low per what a bottle would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. He uses a special goat milk soap for his skin and his major skin reactions are handling it well so goat milk things are an option.

The only other thing I'm having a hard time with is dish soap lol. We had always used blue dawn and I can't find a degreaser that's actually good and organic. I want it to have like just a few ingredients, we have scrubbers that do a good job on their own its just say my husband makes something and leaves it for me to clean up and it's nasty :-/ any advice I don't have a dishwasher so I'd live sonethibg that I trusted.

Advertisement

Mrs.Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm curious about dish soap myself. Trying to use up the last of MIL's Palmolive then I'll be trying one of these from this site

http://organic.lovetoknow.com/USDA_O...Dish_Detergent
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Mrs.Os
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Shampoo & conditioner question/ dish soap question- help

Thanks ill look into those. I have to avoid coconut ingredients which is what I like lol for these things :-/ so its proving hard. Anyone have any ideas for hair?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, that was such a fascinating question that I had to look up some of my shampoos and see if ANY were coconut free. I had doubts b/c I seem to always see "coco" something in the ingredient list. I do use one fragrance free product that I had hoped would meet your bill.

I came up with zero. It seems like the two surfactant alternatives are petroleum based or coconut based.

However, I did find this pricey brand that I have never tried: https://www.morroccomethod.com/shampoos They appear to be coconut free, although they probably all have some natural fragrance. I hope that helps.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
A lot of people who have tried castile soap don't like it but it might be worth a shout. Its vegetable based.
I've also read about turning soap nuts into shampoo.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Savannah mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love. Ava Anderson Nontoxic! They have nontoxic cleaning products, baby products, and personal care. Check out Ava Anderson Non-Toxic by Sheena on Facebook
Savannah mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Mrs.Os
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ill have to look into all that. I thought Castile soap had coconut? Ill look that up, that's what the rest of us love
Old 04-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
mamalusbear
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here's a recipe for dish soap that I use, found it works great:

-1 ˝ cup of hot water
-˝ cup liquid castile soap
-1 tablespoon of white vinegar
-1 tablespoon of Arm&Hammer’s Super Washing Soda
-1/8 teaspoon of tea tree oil (if you like)

Mix all the ingredients together and then add the hot water

Also, plain old Castile soap works great, and for a store brand Planet works well.

For the shampoo/conditioner, have you considered the no poo method? Basically washing your hair with baking soda and using apple cider vinegar as a rinse

no poo:
http://www.nopoomethod.com/

If you google it, tons of links will come up
mamalusbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Most/all castille soaps are coconut based, but there might be some out there made only with olive oil. I don't think olive oil based soaps would be good on long hair though, honestly.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
rachelhf7
Registered Users

I have heard of using soap nuts to make your own shampoo. Someone gave a recipe for it. I can pass it along if anyone is interested. I haven't tried the recipe yet.
rachelhf7 is offline   Reply With Quote