Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
rchamberlain
Registered Users
seller

Re: Worried about labor pain for baby #2

I was too quick for an epidural with my first two, but with my third I had a bit of time.

They offered it to me when my contractions were coming every 90 seconds and lasting for 1 minute. They said, "Well, it usually takes us 45 minutes to put this in, but since you're in a lot of pain we can do it in 20 if you lie on your side. You'll have to tell us when you have a contraction, though, so we can wait until it passes."

I said, "Yeah, I don't want to have 10 major contractions while you've got a needle in my back."

I passed on it. The anesthesiologist thought I was nuts. He kept trying to talk me into it. I was more afraid of the side effects of the epidural than the actual labor. And wouldn't you know, baby was born 20 minutes later.

I always worried about L&D. Whole pregnancy. Mooed like a cow through the whole thing. Yelled at nurses during transition to STOP CHECKING ME! :smile:

Pretty sure my husband and the nurses laughed at me sounding like a dying sheep during each childbirth. I just remember being really irritated that they were having fun and talking about the Red Sox during my contractions.

In the end, I didn't care about making noise or reacting from the pain. Your baby is your gold medal for surviving the whole birthing process (whether natural, drug-induced or c-section).

Advertisement

I love my Jesus
rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
I'm at 38 weeks and getting really nervous about the pain to come. I was worried about it for DD too. But now I know just how painful it is, I'm really freaking myself out! Anyone else obsess over L&D pain?

It probably doesn't help that this babe is super active and pushing all over my abdomen which causes pressure and pain and reminds me of what's to come.

With DD I had IV pain medication that helped during labor but not delivery. I liked having a mostly natural birth and fast recovery (we were barely in the hospital 24 hours). The thought of an epideral freaks me out. Anyone have any suggestions or advice?
I would relish the bolded and remind myself that I am capable of handling it now and it's practice for when it is making progress. I always joke with my family that my uterus is in there doing pushups when a good Braxton Hicks makes my nasal passages clog up and my breathing increase. I use them as an opportunity to practice relaxing. Then I congratulate myself and my uterus.

Don't think, "Oh, dear and this is just a taste." Think, "Here comes some practice time and I'm doing great."
Old 04-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
SweetMama34
Registered Users
seller

It's much easier to handle the pain if you can set aside the fear and just go with it! Good support is crucial.
SweetMama34 is offline   Reply With Quote