Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Going to cry, and/or rip my hair out - help!!

I am quickly developing yet another UTI.

I never had them in my life until February, right around 4 - 5 weeks along. That was the first one, and this is the fifth. I'm not kidding. FIFTH.

I will be 15 weeks along soon. I already have a history of premature labor/delivery. Is there anything I can do to prevent future UTI's? Anything? I am absolutely terrified that I will get to six months and a particularly nasty UTI will pop up and send me into labor. It doesn't take much, for me.

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Re: Going to cry, and/or rip my hair out - help!!

Major Hydration,
Frequent urination -never try to hold it,
Cranberry juice - unsweetened - 4oz, 2 x a day (this will aid in recovery to), cranberries in general will help as well.
Vitamin c and eating acidic fruits to acidify your system and prevent bacterial growth,
Showers - not baths, and washing before and after sex.
Don't take bubble baths or use scented soap or sprays down there.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
leyash
Registered Users
seller

i would drink a bottle of water every 60-90 minutes, and set an alarm to pee every 45 minutes or so. no, i am not kidding. you may also consider adding a few tall glasses of cranberry juice to your diet every day.

blueberries and pineapples also help to fight bacteria, so maybe make yourself a small smoothie every day of yogurt, blueberries, pineapples, and cranberry juice/cranberries?
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seriously, people, chill out about the water!!! Drinking water does not fix every problem, and it CAN cause issues. Yes overhydration is real and is not a good idea.

My mother had lots of UTIs when pregnant. Like you, she didn't have them when she wasn't pregnant. Hers likely contributed to two preterm pregnancies. Later she found out that she had gut dysbiosis; in her case, a major case of yeast overgrowth. It's possible that this was the root of the issue. I would definitely try some good probiotics and fermented food with every meal (like plain greek yogurt in place or sour cream, for example), and supplement with other foods that encourage the good bacteria and fight the bad, like garlic, coconut oil, etc. Of course cranberry juice won't hurt, but it has a lot of sugar that might not be too helpful if your problem is candida. I'd do the cranberry tablets. Or....here's an idea. Fermented cranberry juice jello along the lines of this http://www.mommypotamus.com/probioti...emonade-jello/ I've made the lemon jello and it's super easy and yummy.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
rchamberlain
Registered Users
seller

Second the cranberry tablets. You'd have to drink gallons of cranberry juice to ward off UTIs if you're prone to them.

My mother-in-law gets them every time she has sex. TMI, right? She has a standing prescription, always.

Empty your bladder after sex helps tremendously as it flushes out the bacteria. Just wiping afterwards isn't helpful. Basically anytime fecal bacteria makes its way up there, flush it out quickly.

I thought I had one right after I gave birth to DD3 and she told me to pee into a glass (like an old baby food jar) and hold it up to the light. If you see floaties, it may be a UTI. Not sure if it's true, but it works for her and worked for me.

I had never heard about the yeast connection before. That's fascinating!

Hope you feel better, mama!
I love my Jesus
rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, everyone. I haven't had any sexual activity since February so that's not the cause. I wonder if I do have a yeast problem...? I have cranberry juice but tomorrow I will go look for these cranberry tablets.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

organic apple cider vinegar (unfiltered with the mother) 3x a day in water.

it acts like an antibiotic and will clear it up as well as prevent future ones.

up your vitamin c, and get the tablets for cranberry bc if it is a yeast problem, the last thing you need to be drinking is juice! (too much sugar, whether it is 100% natural or not).

GL!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had uti issues with this pregnancy. I started cranberry supplements and natures sunshine urinary maintenance. Helped a ton.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DS Forum
Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

take a glass of cranberry juice each day and I say cranberry azo pills. they are amazingly good for uti's or preventing
Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
SweetMama34
Registered Users
seller

That sucks. I always have some "thing" during pregnancy that won't leave me alone until I deliver! This time, it's cold sores on my lip - what's up with that?

Hope you feel better soon.
SweetMama34 is offline   Reply With Quote