Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

Help! I can't afford a lactation consultant!

Does LLL have free help? As far as I could tell from the few meetings I have been to, they can give you advice,but not actual assessment unless the leader is a lactation consultant. In which case I could hire them if I could afford them. But I can't.

I don't know who else to turn to immediately.

The back back story (This is not the situation with my new LO, for reference)
My DS was severely underweight at birth (IUGR) and was in the NICU for two weeks, he started latching once we got home. I nursed him exclusively for two weeks. He lost so much weight he ended up back in the hospital. After we got home I pumped and supplemented (with formula mostly) until he was four months old and gave up because it was too stressful and I found that I wasn't actually nursing him in order to save time in the nursing-bottle-feeding-pumping cycle. There were a thousand reasons our relationship was the way it was.

I had high hopes of things being different this time!

NOW: New baby girl:
So, my LO is 3 and a half weeks old and we discovered that she is loosing weight. Pediatrician knows all about it; she suggested I start supplementing, but didn't recommend pumping, in fact said she didn't think it was nec. I have been supplementing up to 1.5 oz every three hours, baby usually takes about 1oz.

I am freaking out because I don't want to loose what little supply I have and I don't know who to call.

It's been like this:
She was 6lbs, 14 oz at birth.
She was 6lbs, 4 oz at discharge at about 36 hours
She was 5lbs, 15 oz at first check up at 5 days
She was 6lbs, 2oz at 8 days

My milk came in very obviously on day 3.5, this was very different from my expereince with my son (with him I never felt it come in).

Week two went perfectly.

She started cluster feeding like crazy mid-week three and after three days of screaming after all feedings and switching sides for hours at a time ( I assumed it was a growth spurt) I felt more milk come in! I was super jazzed!

But she still looked super skinny to me and when we went back to the ped at three and a half weeks she was back down to 5lbs, 15 oz.

So that is where we are now. I don't know what to do.

SOMEWHAT of an UpDate in post 12.

Advertisement

Last edited by Zoethink; 04-25-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Zoethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! I can't afford a lactation consultant!

Does the pediatrician's office have a consultant? Mine does? Can you switch offices to one that does? Do you qualify for WIC? Most WIC offices have an IBCLC.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

I don't know if we qualify for WIC, but that is a good idea! Thanks!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went to one through my ob/gyn's office. You could try there. Insurance covered all of ours, so if you have insurance they might be able to get you one.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Call your local LLL leaders- if they can't help they will direct you to someone who can. Don't give up.
Also try calling the hospital where you delivered- they may be able to direct you to help that will be covered on your insurance.
I had a really rough start with my first son- he was at his birth weight at 1 month! I supplemented for several months and before 4 months he was back to ebf.
If you think it could be a latch issue- spend some time browsing Kelly mom.com. I believe there are links to videos that show proper latch. Make sure you take care of yourself (as well as possible). Sleep when baby sleeps whenever possible. Eat healthy and get plenty of water.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would try insurance first and see if they cover it. With Obamacare, our insurance started covering lactation consultants. Then I would contact the hospital immediately, if they had consultants on-hand during your stay. At my hospital it was expected that you continue communicating with the hospital LCs until you worked out the kinks. They did individual home visits, which were pricier, and group consults which were a nominal fee. You could also talk over the phone and I don't think they charged for that. The next option I would look at is the OB office. They might have additional contacts. I've never tried LLL but a local chapter might be able to connect you to other resources. It can't hurt. On top of all that, I would break down and pump in between meals, just in case.

Is your baby very sleepy?

Good luck!

Last edited by mayliz; 04-25-2013 at 08:27 AM.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
tedcgh
Registered Users
seller
seller

So sorry you are going through this. How are you supplementing? I would call you hospital back. Sometimes they can do phone consults or have support groups that are free. Sometimes you can be reimbursed for consults too. I would suggest a supplemental nurser that will stimulate your breast while baby nurses and receives the supplement at the same time.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Check your insurance - many many plans now cover LC visits at 100% as part of Obamacare.

It really sounds like you need an intake assessment to see how much your LO is actually eating. It could be that your supply is good, but poor latch...or could be low supply. It's really hard to diagnose without doing an assessment with an intake scale. If you fear a supply issue, than pumping would HELP, not hurt. If you supplement, be sure you're using an SNS so that you continue to get stimulation at the breast.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
kushie tushie
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Call the hospital you delivered at. The LCs there are usually covered by insurances.

Start fenugreek now! Super dark beer and ovaltine (sp?) also help with supply issues. I would absolutely pump but after each nursing session. Make sure she is getting what she can then pump the rest. Supply and demand.

Are you sure she has a good latch? A bad latch can trash your supply.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
Call the hospital you delivered at. The LCs there are usually covered by insurances.

Start fenugreek now! Super dark beer and ovaltine (sp?) also help with supply issues. I would absolutely pump but after each nursing session. Make sure she is getting what she can then pump the rest. Supply and demand.

Are you sure she has a good latch? A bad latch can trash your supply.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
doesn't have to be dark, just unfiltered.