Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How much does your 6 week old eat at one time?

I just found out that I will be getting a CT scan at about 6 weeks past delivery (planned c-section). I am told that I will need to pump and dump for 12 hours afterwards. So my question is, how much will I need to stockpile for the baby for this time? Also how much do they eat at one time at this age? We will be out most of the day with the little guy (and big brother) so I want to have everything fairly easy for DH or myself when needed.

Oh and I have a PISA advanced so I am not worried about pumping. I just have never done it for someone outside the NICU. So I am not sure of things.

Thank you for the help!

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
24 ounces should be plenty. Thats 4 ounces of breastmilk every 2 hours. Obviouslu having more is better. I would aim for 32.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Madame Medina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much does your 6 week old eat at one time?

My 8 week old takes any where from 2-4oz at a time. I freeze in 2oz increments so that if more is needed DH isn't defrosting a full 4oz if she's only going to take another ounce.
The New Spring Catalog is HERE! For every $31 you spend in March get your choice of seven totes at 50% OFF! Thirty-One Gifts All DS mama's who host a catalog party with me earn DOUBLE in Free Hostess Credit. Looking to earn some extra money? Join my team in March and get your kit for FREE. Ask me how.
Madame Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If that is all they eat maybe I can get those bottles that they have in the NICU with the nipple lids. Make it so it isn't the greenest option, but certainly easy when out all day at the hospital! I see the bottles on the Medela site but not the nipples. Hmmm...

Ooo!! I found them on Diapers.com. $24 for 12 so that isn't bad for a day's worth of feedings.

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 04-25-2013 at 11:32 AM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My twins eat 3 oz every 2-4 hrs.

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

Mine eats about 4-5 ounces every two hours and he is six weeks old. Also when I had my ct scan I was not allowed to nurse for 48 hours. So I would suggest having as much as possible stocked up just in case the length of time changes on you.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
onion
Registered Users
seller

Am having a similar issue this Friday. Having an MRI arthrogram which means they are shooting a bunch of anesthetic and a dye into my joint. They told me not to nurse for 24 hrs.
I'm stressing about having enough milk on hand...and also about the psychological impact it will have on my little guy. He loves to nurse, and to comfort nurse. I'm going to be going crazy in the middle of the night when he wakes up expecting to feed from the breast. He'll cry cry cry when he just gets the bottle...and it will hit me in the heart.
Oh I know plenty of babies are bottle fed but he isn't used to it! And I'm not used to it! I think I need to breastfeed as much as he does.

ISO: GMD green edge workhorses or prefolds! Bumgenius 4.0s, fixeruppers ok!
onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
onion
Registered Users
seller

Oh and back to the question at hand - my guy eats probably 2.5 to 3.5 oz per feeding, every two hours.

ISO: GMD green edge workhorses or prefolds! Bumgenius 4.0s, fixeruppers ok!
onion is offline   Reply With Quote