Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
penguinande
Registered Users
seller
seller

7 months old - worth it to get a ring sling now?

I used a sleepy wrap for the first few months, then I got a beco gemini, which I love, and I also have a water duo. I use the duo for quick trips and the beco for longer ones or times when I need my hands 100% free. However, lately I've been toying with the idea of getting a ring sling. It just seems like the rs would be an even better quick trip option than the duo because I could wear ds on my hip, which is the position he often prefers to be carried in when someone is holding him. Any thoughts? Budget is definitely a concern. If I were to get one at this stage, what would you recommend that isn't too expensive (I would probably buy used but I want to know what to look for)? I live in a warm climate if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Advertisement

penguinande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 7 months old - worth it to get a ring sling now?

I use my ring sling with my 14 month old and have been for while. I love it and he does too. I like the maya wrap because of the padding.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
My sil got one after trying mine and her lo is 2. Rs are quick and perfect when they get older for a hip carry and fast up and downs. I'd say its totally worth it!!
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

I have a homemade ring sling. I use it for quick trips out. I use a wrap or an Ergo for longer wear, but the ring sling is handy. If you know how to sew you can make one for $30 or so. Get about 2.5 yards of a sturdy fabric and rings from slingrings.com. I got the fabric on sale for 1/2 off, but Joann's often have 40-50% off coupons.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
penguinande
Registered Users
seller
seller

Unfortunately I can't sew at all so I guess I will start searching fsot. Should I be looking for padded or unpadded? I've heard different things.
penguinande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinande
Unfortunately I can't sew at all so I guess I will start searching fsot. Should I be looking for padded or unpadded? I've heard different things.
There are also instructions for "no sew ring slings" if cost is an issue

Honestly I use my ring sling more than anything else. Ds is 17 months old and really dislikes his boba because he can't see anything from a back carry! It's harder to carry him in the rs because he is heavy and I have weak shoulders, but I still use it most often since its his favorite. I would definitely consider it worth the $ at 7 months.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
kaitl
Registered Users
seller

I agree with others, although my LO is only 5 months... I just bought a used wrap-conversion ring sling and it's great. I really like being able to have LO on my hip.

You can get a basic fabric sling made by Jan at sleeping baby productions for <$60 -- the wrap conversion RS I have was done by her and the shoulder is really nice!

There are also always RS for sale on thebabywearer FSOT boards
kaitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ring slings are a bif favorite of ours for babies that are sitting up w/ head control through toddlerhood. They are the perfect pop-able carrier for a hip carry. I have been using a making ring slings for over 10 years and far prefer unpadded.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I actually like them for older babies and toddlers for things like the park where they will be getting out to play but its too fat to crawl/walk to car, church and quick in and outs to the store for one thing.
In fact I need one, I got rid of my last one stupidly.

my droid RAZR HD is responsible for the contents of this post
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I use my ring sling from birth to 5. Even a five year old gets tired and needs carrying n occasionally. We didn't use it very often after about 2-3 years of age but during a long walk or at the mall or wherever they came in handy and fit into a large purse or diaper bag. It also doubled as a light weight blanket. I would say definitley worth getting one at 7 months.

I prefer little to no padding as I am already quite padded as it is. I have used only 2 different ring slings, Nojo and Maya Wrap. I much preferred the Maya Wrap for its prints and quality of fabric. I also appreciated the video that comes with a Maya Wrap. It made a world of difference in how much use I was able to make of my ring sling. Maya Wraps I think are around $80 and now are lightly padded but only in the shoulder.