Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for those who have homebirthed!

I've had 2 homebirths and was never asked to supply food for them, they brought their own. However, I do know Midwives who ask for soup or something in the crock pot in case the birth does last a whole day or days. I know Midwives who deliver in the middle of nowhere, so no place to just go off and eat.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
birdinhand
Registered Users

My midwife did ask for food to be available to them, things like sandwich fixings; my midwife arrived at 6 am and Ezra was born at 9:42 am, so she didn't need anything; really I always have sandwich things and snacks around so I dind't do anything special.

I also had a ton of hydrogen peroxide, but I didn't need to use it; after my birth I actually tossed the towels and sheet in the washer, and although there was tons of fresh mec and some blood/fluid, it all came out in the wash.

I had EmergenC on hand -- didn't use it.
Bulb syringe in the birth kit -- didn't use it.
Tons of Chux pads -- only used about 3 (I am putting them under my sheet at breast/baby head level to absorb milk/spit up now).
Golden Seal for the umbilical cord (you can find these as supplements -- I just opened the capsule and would sprinkle about 1/3 on his cord).
Double-sheeted the bed.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
Ok so this is my third baby but first homebirth. I got the birth kit in yesterday but need a few supplies my midwife says she will need us to have on hand. She also asks to have bottled water and snacks on hand for her and the doula and also for me. What are good snacks? Also any tips for things to have on hand that maybe I wouldn't think of? Or things tips on anything? I am trying to get everything ready and have on hand tomorrow and Saturday. I am 37 weeks.
For 'snacks' we had all-natural coconut water(FULL of energy and natural electrolytes), homemade granola, nuts, etc. Just easy-peasy stuff to grab that we usually have around, we just made sure we had extra so there would always be some whenever the birth happened. When I was in earlyish labor my husband actually cooked for us, but when I got to active labor I just had a bottle of coconut water beside the birthing pool/bed/etc, with a bendable straw in that my husband or one of the midwives gave me sips of, or at least offered, between nearly every contraction. We had 5-6 bottles in the back of the fridge from 37 weeks on.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

I ate frozen grapes and Popsicles. I had cheese, crackers, fruit and veggies for the midwives ad doulas. I also had a boatload of people and someone who ran to the store for sustenance while I was in labor. :-)

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had no idea what to have on hand, because we usually don't have premade stuff around. I really didn't have anything unusual for me; there is a store literally 1 minute from my house so I figured that if anyone needed some snacks, someone could go get them. I'm sure I had nuts and yogurt and milk, lol. As anticipated my labor was super fast so nothing was really necessary; i guess the midwife was at my house about 3 hours total and a friend of mine that was there went out and got delicious pastries after the birth.
I can see if you are rural that it would be good to have a variety of things on hand, but when my midwife brought this up (she suggested having sandwich things) I just laughed because I don't eat sandwiches and wasn't about to buy stuff not even knowing if it would be good when labor started, and we live SO close to a store that it seemed unnecessary. Oh, and we were fairly certain that labor would be short.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Sandwich fixings for a substantive snack is a great idea. I wish I had thought of that last time.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #17
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would ask what snacks she would like.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote