Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Is DS trying to tell me he's ready for food?

DS was 5 mos the 10th... he's EBF... anyway, today I'm noticing that he's reaching for spoons & opening his mouth when I take a bite... anyway, is he trying to tell me something? I really wanted to EBF longer, at least 6 mos but I don't want it to be my agenda... KWIM?

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Is DS trying to tell me he's ready for food?

Sounds like he's wanting food...that's about when & what my ds did... But I'm no expert & he's not bf.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
comfybuns
Registered Users
seller

You are going to gt such mixed answers on this one I can already see it. Anyway. Those signs are the exact ones i followed. When my children expresed an interest in eating it is when I started to introduce it.
good luck!
Old 06-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

My baby does that too and he is 4.5 mos. But he does the same thing with everything not just food and he seems perfectly satisfied with just breastmilk. So for us I don't think it really means anything, I say go with your gut. If you feel like its time go ahead, if not keep watching for signs of readiness and start when you feel more sure about it. Don't doubt yourself, your his mama and you know best what he needs.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My baby did that at 5 months old, but I really wanted to exclusively nurse until he was 6 months old. I felt almost selfish for making him wait, but once I did introduce solids, it turned out he didn't care for them at all; he just wanted to play. He didn't end up eating solids until he was 10.5 months old. Go with your gut; you can put something on his tray to play with and see what happens from there.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Jenn: ITA with you. I started Alex at 4 months because she was ready. As much as I wanted to wait until 6 months, I couldn't. Yes some people give me the "well my baby loves my keys, does that mean she's ready to drive?" thing but Alex did and still does very well with solids and still bfs a ton.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
bellsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My doc told us to wait until 6 months, but my daughter did the same thing at 5 months so I slowly started food. First with a little cereal and by the time she was 6 months we were eating a few fruits and veggies. If it worries you just give him a little rice cereal with banana and breast milk mixed in until you think he is ready for more at 6 months. I wouldn't have started earlier than I did. She still breastfeeds along with eating. I was not loving the 24/7 breastfeeding thing though. She eats great now and hasn't expressed any problems. The poo smells a whole lot worse than bf poo though!!!