Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

standardized testing... need help

Hi all. Does anyone here give their kiddos standardized tests just to find out where they are in the various subjects? I tried to sign my daughter up but I missed the cutoff for the Stanford here. Fine with me, it was just to be for my own info anyway.

So then I got to thinking, maybe I could just find a practice test or something to give her- would give me the same information, right? My googling hasn't given me anything good yet though. Does anyone know where I can get a practice test (or a real one affordably, for that matter)? I don't care if it's that same test or not.

I just want to know how we're doing, as this was my first year homeschooling, and I plan to put her back into school in a year or two, so I want to make sure she's on par with her peers.

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: standardized testing... need help

You can always get a Spectrum test prep workbook from Amazon. They are very similar to the standardized tests and not expensive. I don't bother with testing until required, but I get them for my kids before they take their first one just so they are more familiar.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
sdsmrs
Registered Users
seller

I do but state laws require it for certain grades anyway. I do it on the off years also just for my benefit and so my kids can keep acquainted with the teachers, students and how the school runs before they have to take the test for their portfolios. We test at the Christian school associated with our church so they do know some of the kids and know who the teachers are but not their classroom styles.

If you google "standardized test services" or "homeschool testing services", you should come up with some places that will provide and score the tests for you. I am not sure of the prices though, it depends on the test you want to use. I know BJU Press offers a testing service but they also range in price by which test you use. Different tests require different administration rules, some state that the parent can administer the test, others require an approved tester to administer the test.

Here in PA, our homeschoolers must be evaluated at the end of the school year starting in 3rd grade. Some evaluators will also give the tests if you want, I'm not sure the laws in your area or if that is even a possibility for you.
sdsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In Iowa we do ITBS, here's the link to the one I've considered buying.

ETA: This site has lots of links.

Read about our homeschool journey here.

Last edited by ~Laura~; 05-06-2013 at 06:44 PM.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we do the spectrum books as part of our curriculum so that my ds will be familiar with that testing format.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

I am in PA and in this state we have to administer standardized testing in grades 3, 5 and 8. I just administered the test for a family on Friday and I have administered the test for other families in the past.

I recommend checking out the CAT test. You can mail order it, they send it out to you super fast and you administer it or get whoever to administer it mail it back and they will send you results very quickly. The test is $25 and takes about 2.5 hours to administer.
http://www.setontesting.com/cat/
If you want detailed sub-tests there are others that might be more appropriate on their page.

Let me know if you need any further info and best wishes!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do the CAT test as a way to turn in our proof of progress for this state. I would not use that as a way to determine if my child was up to grade level or not. The CAT seems about a grade or two behind and does not go over half of what we learned or even what public school kids learn. If public school kids who actually study for this all year are failing that is a very very sad sign. If you are trying to keep them on grade level with schools in your state you can look up their curriculum and ixl is a good one for math.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
littlemsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have to give the CAT test every other year starting after grade 3.
We will be doing it online from Christian Liberty testing service.