Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #51
Registered Users
Re: Help! Meals for big families...

double or triple your food. I am going to suggest that you spend one day a week cooking multiple meals that you can freeze and then take out and serve as needed.

Start standing up for yourself. A child as young as three that is not nursing can go to bed at 7:30 or 8 and will learn to accept that rule if you enforce. School is coming up and now is the time to start getting everyone on a good bedtime routine. Make up a bedtime routine (bath, teeth, story, bed) and stick to it. Simply start with going to bed a half hour sooner and keep making the time earlier until it is 7:30 or 8:00.

Apply for assistance. If you are in the U.S. you can apply for wic if pregnant or if you have a child under 5. Check what your state says. Google wic and your state online and the info should come up. If your income is less than the numbers stated then you qualify.

Income requirements for wic in Texas:
Family of 9
weekly income:$1553
bi-weekly: $3106
twice monthly:$3365
monthly: $6730

Family of 10
weekly income:$1696
bi-weekly: $3392
twice monthly:$3675

There is no shame in using wic.

Search the internet & earn Amazon gift cards. SWAGBUCKS
ISO: girls ballet/dance shoes. dd has 6.5" foot h to t
betty_joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #52
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes

Ok I have a recipe for cheesy chicken spaghetti

Boil 1 whole chicken with water garlic celery flakes and salt

Save the water
Debone the chicken
Boil 1 to 2 pkg spaghetti in the chicken water. Add water if needed

Once the spaghetti is done save the water again and use it
To thin the sauce

In a big stock pot empty 1 family size can of chicken and 1 family size cream of mushroom. Cut up a half or whole large block of velveeta depending on how cheesy you want it and heat on med low until melted adding the hot noodle water to thin. You can make it fairly thin since it will thicken as it cools. Cut up the chicken mix it into cheese mix. You can now mix in the noodles or pour it over the noodles. I prefer to mix but it is hard to stir with a big batch.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #53
Registered Users

I definitely vote for limiting the main course, but having lots of sides like veggies and starches to fill in the gaps.

Stews and stir-fries are great for making the expensive ingredients last longer, too.
alphacyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #54
Registered Users
To stretch chicken breasts, I cut then in half. We eat 50-75% of what we would eat if they were whole breasts.
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #55
Registered Users
My Mood:

I came from a family of big eaters and lots of us. My mom would have never dreamed of not eating with us, and my dad would never have allowed her to skip dinner. But with that said, we all ate together every night. No body sat down to dinner until all of us did. It was all made at once, kids set the table and helped mom carry food out, and we sat down and ate. If we forgot something or needed something (spoon, katchup, ect...) once mom was sitting down, it was one of the kid's jobs to run for it. That right there might help you out. Then work on not making meat the main attraction. Chicken breasts, can be used in soup or cassarole or pot pie. Hamburger same thing, or in a sauce such as for goulash or stroganoff. It does sound like maybe you need to cook more food, but 8 sausages for your family, should be plenty, nobody needs more than one sausage and little kids only need 1/2. But if there isn't enough else than no, it won't be enough. I still cook huge for my family of three because I was raised cooking big amounts. I have a hard time even now scaling back. We eat a lot of soup, stew, taco soup, and chili in the winter. It's an easy one pot meal that we can all sit down to together.
hand spinning, soap making, sheep raising wife to my hardworking and FT WOHM to my 'lil & 6 angels in heaven & our rainbow baby that joined us safely this summer!
ISO: Formula Checks- if you have some you won't use we would love to have them!
NB Diapers for sale:
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #56
Registered Users
My Mood:

This thread is kinda old but I think it's very helpful to those of us that have larger families!! Love the recipes!!
I too need to do more sides with our meals! We eat a lot of Mexican food in our family and tortillas are a staple for sure. They help fill us up in our meals. Even at breakfast!!
Valerie Mommy to 5 amazing babies! Kamron 11 Jaciel 7 Bella 6 Sofia 4 Rhiannon 4
Waiting on baby #6 coming May 2014!!
desertshi is offline   Reply With Quote