Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Britax Frontier 85... Horrible install!!?!

My mom was kind enough to buy a brand new britax frontier for my dd today... Only to get it out to the car, try it in her Kia Forte Hatchback and find that it was a HORRIBLE fit with the recline thingy at the front where it needs to be. I wrestled with it for forever but there was literally 4-6 inches of space between the seat and the back of the carseat. It would have fit perfectly with the recline thing to the back but not the front. It was MISERABLE. My dd completely lost her mind when we brought it back and returned it. Is there anything we could have done? Has anyone else had this happen???

Advertisement

Last edited by looking8186; 05-12-2013 at 05:15 PM.
looking8186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did you use long belt path or short belt path? When installing it helps to push the front of the seat with your knees. If it was me I'd get the new frontier 90.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

I honestly have noooo idea I could not for the life of me figure out which was which. I only saw the one. Of course i was hot, tired, and in the middle of a parking lot with a baby screaming in his carseat next to me sooo that *may* have had something to do with it We were going to buy that one because it was clearanced for $219 is the 90 supposed to be better?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dang.... Just watched a YouTube long path install. Wish I has watched that in the parking lot would have helped if it came with a manual... It was unfortunately a floor model
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do people generally have such a HUGE gap with that seat though?
Old 05-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Britax Frontier 85... Horrible install!!?!

We have a small gap with ours. But it doesn't move and is rock solid.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hmmm luvsviola- would you maybe possibly be able to take a pic of your install so now I could see? Pretty please? The 4+ inches in the forte seems like a TON!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just figured alot out w our frontiers and did the long belt path, it makes a huge difference. I've also discovered that there needs to be a gap-in my van because the seat belt isn't supposed to touch the base of the carseat (found it in the online manual).

Goodluck, don't be to hard on yourself.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
Your confusion does not stand alone.
We had one of these way back when I had my own car. Rotten, terrible, stupid design and I never did understand how to install the damn thing myself. In my van at the time we just used LATCH, but I despised the thing the whole time we owned it.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Britax Frontier 85... Horrible install!!?!

First, I *am* actually glad that you returned it, being a floor model with no manual - stores are not supposed to sell floor models and they're not supposed to sell without the manual. If you're open to getting another frontier, I'd definitely get up with a reputable tech in your area. The group Car Seats for the Littles (on facebook) has a HUGE document filled with tons of techs all over the place. I'd love to help you, but i'm in AR so that's a bit of a long drive . The Frontier isnt the easiest seat to install, so I always recommend parents who are new to the Frontier to meet with a good tech. My frontier does have a little gap...a little gap is okay and pretty much a give in in most vehicles. One thing that I have found to do to get that gap to "go away" is to put my knee in the bight of the seat of the Frontier and push down, and back towards the vehicle seat's back, then tighten the seatbelt (or LATCH, whichever you get the better install with/prefer). The Frontier90 is supposed to be super simple to install, yes, BUT BUT BUT since it hasn't been out in the "real world" yet, we really don't know for sure how that will pan out. Unless you *NEED* the extra harness height and weight, I wouldnt worry about the 90, personally..once you learn how to install the 85 it's really not bad. And like others said, don't be hard on yourself...the frontier can be a beast to install

Last edited by stringbean02; 05-12-2013 at 06:35 PM.
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote