Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
SweetMamaKaty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can someone please just tell me what to buy? ;)

We have two littles, both tall and thin. I'm afraid 14 month L is dangerously close to outweighing his Baby Trend, like this but different colors:

Don't panic, he is on the light side, but this has a 22# limit, so I need to hurry.

I'm planning on moving him into 39 month C's Safety First onSide Air, this:

So I'm thinking I want to buy C a convertible booster style that will start attached, then go down to just a seat bottom later, so that I don't have to buy as many - does that seem right?

I guess I'm overwhelmed by all the choices. I did look at the stickies, but I'm afraid of choosing the wrong thing, and you all like to offer advice, right?

She's around 45" tall I want to say (I can measure her for sure tomorrow if necessary) and 36#. I can spend about $100, and I need to be able to order it online. I really like the Safety 1st Air, when we bought it, it seemed like the best we could afford. Would another Safety 1st be good? Of course we want the safest, most comfortable seat possible for the price. And nothing girly, I think that about covers it.

ETA: I meant to include, she has low muscle tone too, not severe, just including in case it makes any difference.

Advertisement

Last edited by SweetMamaKaty; 05-11-2013 at 07:54 PM.
SweetMamaKaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Harmony Defender 360. It's $100 and converts to a high back and then backless booster later on. It's sold at Walmart so if you have one close you can just grab it there.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
SweetMamaKaty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can someone please just tell me what to buy? ;)

Thank you This is why I wish I knew about this board sooner. The harmony defender says it's the only one you need after 22#, so I could have moved her from the bucket straight to this and skipped the middle size. But I guess I would have had to buy something for L anyway then. That raises another question, is the Safety 1st one going to be ok for him? No one raves about them, surely they're not unsafe, maybe just not popular?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMamaKaty
Thank you This is why I wish I knew about this board sooner. The harmony defender says it's the only one you need after 22#, so I could have moved her from the bucket straight to this and skipped the middle size. But I guess I would have had to buy something for L anyway then. That raises another question, is the Safety 1st one going to be ok for him? No one raves about them, surely they're not unsafe, maybe just not popular?
No, you shouldn't go straight from an infant seat to a front-facing seat. It is best to keep children rear-facing until age 3, or 4 if you can make it. You need to install the Safety1st seat rear-facing for your son.

No seat is "unsafe". They all pass the same testing and since the data on the testing isn't released we can't say for sure which one is "safer".

The seat you have is fine. It isn't recommend because it had a very low harness height so it won't last long.

How old is your daughter (oh I see she is 3)? Is the highest harness slot on her seat still above her shoulders?

Eta: did you mean she is 35" tall? At her age being 45" would be crazy tall.

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 05-11-2013 at 08:58 PM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
genevievej84
Registered Users

Quote:
It wouldn't have been the best choice to go straight from the bucket to the defender, because its best that kids stay rear facing to their 2nd birthday at a minimum.

It does sound like the Defender is a great choice for your older child right now :-) The safety 1st seat is an appropriate choice for your 14 month old. It needs to be in the rear facing position still, for optimal crash protection.
genevievej84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
SweetMamaKaty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
No, you shouldn't go straight from an infant seat to a front-facing seat. It is best to keep children rear-facing until age 3, or 4 if you can make it. You need to install the Safety1st seat rear-facing for your son.

No seat is "unsafe". They all pass the same testing and since the data on the testing isn't released we can't say for sure which one is "safer".

The seat you have is fine. It isn't recommend because it had a very low harness height so it won't last long.

How old is your daughter (oh I see she is 3)? Is the highest harness slot on her seat still above her shoulders?

Eta: did you mean she is 35" tall? At her age being 45" would be crazy tall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genevievej84 View Post
It wouldn't have been the best choice to go straight from the bucket to the defender, because its best that kids stay rear facing to their 2nd birthday at a minimum.

It does sound like the Defender is a great choice for your older child right now :-) The safety 1st seat is an appropriate choice for your 14 month old. It needs to be in the rear facing position still, for optimal crash protection.
Ahhhh, I see. We had already switched C to forward facing when they upped the age. Low parent education at the time... Thank God we never had an accident. But I will keep L rear facing as long as possible! Thank you so much for your advice.

I may be off on her height She is super tall though - Now I have to measure her tomorrow just for fun!

ETA: I honestly don't know about the harness height to her shoulders - she's fwd facing, should they be above or below? I'll check that tomorrow for sure.

Last edited by SweetMamaKaty; 05-11-2013 at 09:14 PM.
SweetMamaKaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Ahhhh, I see. We had already switched C to forward facing when they upped the age. Low parent education at the time... Thank God we never had an accident. But I will keep L rear facing as long as possible! Thank you so much for your advice.

I may be off on her height She is super tall though - Now I have to measure her tomorrow just for fun!

ETA: I honestly don't know about the harness height to her shoulders - she's fwd facing, should they be above or below? I'll check that tomorrow for sure.
Glad you will be keeping your son RFing! For front facing the harness should be at or above her shoulders. For rear facing they are at or below the shoulders. If the harness is below her shoulder she needs a new seat ASAP and shouldn't ride in that one again.

Eta: when you measure her also measure her shoulder height be lmk what it is. Have her sit against the wall with her legs cross crossed bd measure from the floor to her shoulders.

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 05-11-2013 at 09:39 PM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
SweetMamaKaty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Glad you will be keeping your son RFing! For front facing the harness should be at or above her shoulders. For rear facing they are at or below the shoulders. If the harness is below her shoulder she needs a new seat ASAP and shouldn't ride in that one again.
Ok, thank you, so this may be a two-part necessity if she's outgrowing hers too.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
SweetMamaKaty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Eta: when you measure her also measure her shoulder height be lmk what it is. Have her sit against the wall with her legs cross crossed bd measure from the floor to her shoulders.
Ok, will do! Should I wait to buy the new one, like will that measurement possibly tell you something that could change the recommendation?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Ok, will do! Should I wait to buy the new one, like will that measurement possibly tell you something that could change the recommendation?
It's possible but probably not likely. I'd rather be safe than sorry though.