Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
is there a significant difference between linen and cotton in breathability?

I have a Maya ring sling in 100% cotton. I really like it. It worked well for dd and I plan on using it and a homemade mei tai (not going to be very cool for the summer, but good for other uses) for our newbie.

My question is, is there a significant difference in breathability (Nebraska humid hot summer approaching) between linen and 100% cotton? I think a sling would be cooler than most other carriers because of less fabric. Correct me if I'm wrong as I only have experience with the two I have.

Just curious. If there is a significant difference then I might be interested in trying linen out, but if not I'll stick with what I have.

Thank you expert baby wearers

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
diaperjzp
Registered Users
seller

Re: is there a significant difference between linen and cotton in breathability?

bump . . been wondering the same thing for hot Texas summer!
diaperjzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Miac6
Registered Users
seller

Cotton will hold in the humidity for a long time if that makes sense. Like if you or baby get sweaty at all the cotton would stay damp for a long time not too sure if the same happens with linen though
Miac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: is there a significant difference between linen and cotton in breathability?

Thanks Anyone have a linen sling to compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miac6 View Post
Cotton will hold in the humidity for a long time if that makes sense. Like if you or baby get sweaty at all the cotton would stay damp for a long time not too sure if the same happens with linen though
Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Jewels6708
Registered Users
seller

I've been told that linen helps wisk away the moisture. I have a linen Cotton blend and it does stay a bit dryer than my 100% Cotton wrap. FWIW, I live in Texas.
Jewels6708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
got2havespunk
Registered Users
seller

IMO the linen breathes MUCH better than cotton. It can be beastly to break in (unless you get it used) but it's totally worth it.
got2havespunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, Maybe I'll look for a used linen ring sling.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Linen is definitely superior in many ways. I love my Sakura Bloom linen RS (bought here on FSOT). I really love how it naturally softens with use and laundering.

Why is linen better? It absorbs far more water than cotton (wicking) and has better thermo-regulation. It is also very stain-resistant, naturally antibacterial, hypo-allergenic, and UV-resistant.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
sharper87
Registered Users
seller

Yep, linen is superior. The weave is usually more open than cotton's, allowing more air flow. And linen is also one of the strongest natural fibers out there, making it perfect for a sling. You would want to launder it often at first since it will get softer. It can be a bit stiff and scratchy at first, not the greatest for baby's skin, but it isn't terrible and will get much softer the more you wash it.
sharper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
Branwen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YES! Linen wicks and breathes better than cotton! But, blends lin/cot in a lighter weight are not too bad.
Branwen is offline   Reply With Quote