Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

I am super confused about what is going on with my body. I had a threatened miscarriage on May 12. Of course on Mother's Day. My beta level at the time was 2000. I had an ultrasound which showed a baby with a strong heartbeat. Two weeks later we went back for another ultrasound to find that baby had stop developing right around the time of the threatened miscarriage. I took Cytotec (on May 24) in order to induce the miscarriage instead since the baby had already died 2 weeks prior. My betas have been taking FOREVER to drop. Here's the progression:
5/12- 2,000
5/24- took Cytotec- seemed to "work"
5/31- 19,960
6/3- 16,812 (still passing some clots and bleeding at this point)
6/8- 9,000 (on 6/8 I woke up hemorrhaging terribly. Soaking a pad every 10-15 minutes. Had ultrasound and beta done. Passed a ton of baseball sized clots and finally the baby. Bleeding slowed once baby has passed.
6/12- 2,000
6/20- 70.2
6/27 15.1
7/3- 6.7
My period returned on 7/6 (no ovulation). I assumed that meant that my levels must be down to zero. Dr says that's not the case and that ill have to go back next week again to make sure that my levels are five or less.

1. Is that true that you can get your period while hcg levels are still elevated?
2. Souls I be concerned that my levels are dropping SO slowly? Is this a bad sign for future children? (I have a 17 mo old dd. no complications with her pregnancy. We have gotten preg with first cycle with both pregnancies). Ian really concerned that is is somehow a terrible sign. I'm 29 and DH is 30, for what it matters.
3. When should I start using OPKs again?

Advertisement

Last edited by yogamama28; 07-08-2013 at 08:09 PM.
yogamama28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Some people's bodies take a long time to get to 0. A person I worked with took about 6 months

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Miscarriage Confusion

i have had many miscarriages and have helped others with them too. its all different when you get a period or ovulate after a loss. i myself seem to o right on time if not a tad earlier. and I also o'd before my hcg was to 0.
I had this happen in Jan as well as this month. I o'd before my tests were even neg.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

Re: Miscarriage Confusion

So you're now at 6.7? You're almost there! I had a miscarriage at the end if April so like a month before you and Im just now getting ready for my second period (or not hopefully) but anyway, it felt like forever to stop bleeding and get my period back! I bet you will o your next cycle, I think generally it takes a few months to get back on track although I know everyone is different. Maybe you had a period without oing bc you had some more uterine lining to shed and didn't o bc you're levels weren't all the way down. I think now that you are almost down to zero you will o with the next cycle. I would say to start using opks when you normally would around the beginning middle of you're cycle with 7/6 being day 1 just like you normally would. I got cheap ones and started right away (I had to pee on something, ever since my miscarriage Ive been obsessive about getting pregnant again) I know some people's cycle can be not regular for a while but mine went right back to where it should be and I think that's more likely. Good luck with everything are you going to be trying as soon as you o or are you going to wait? I don't have good answers to your questions but I do want to say that I don't think that your levels dropping at the rate they did means anything for future pregnancies. How many weeks were you? I know the farther along the longer it takes to return to normal also.

Last edited by LaurenAppenzeller; 07-08-2013 at 09:07 PM.
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenAppenzeller
So you're now at 6.7? You're almost there! I had a miscarriage at the end if April so like a month before you and Im just now getting ready for my second period (or not hopefully) but anyway, it felt like forever to stop bleeding and get my period back! I bet you will o your next cycle, I think generally it takes a few months to get back on track although I know everyone is different. Maybe you had a period without oing bc you had some more uterine lining to shed and didn't o bc you're levels weren't all the way down. I think now that you are almost down to zero you will o with the next cycle. I would say to start using opks when you normally would around the beginning middle of you're cycle with 7/6 being day 1 just like you normally would. I got cheap ones and started right away (I had to pee on something, ever since miscarriage Ive been a little obsessed with getting pregnant again) I know some people's cycle can be not regular for a while but mine went right back to where it should be and I think that's more likely. Good luck with everything are you going to be trying as soon as you o or are you going to wait? I don't have good answers to your questions but I do want to say that I don't think that your levels dropping at the rate they did means anything for future pregnancies. How many weeks were you? I know the farther along the longer it takes to return to normal also.
I was 8 weeks (baby stopped developing around 6 weeks we think). Yes, 6.7... So close... But so annoying. We want to TTC immediately. We were really hoping I'd ovulate before getting a period so we'd have a chance this month but that wasn't the case. Maybe next month. Here's to hoping!
yogamama28 is online now   Reply With Quote