Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Fussy Newborn

My LO is 2 weeks and 2 days old and is SUPER fussy!! He's been fussy since about 3-4 days old and it just keeps getting worse. We've had days where he has screamed for 6 plus hours (total throughout the day). On average he screams for about 3 hours at night. I took him to the dr. the other day because I suspected extra gas and reflux were causing our problems. She said since he keeps some feedings down she isn't too worried even if he does have reflux. I did read that unless it's severe they don't usually treat it. He does a lot of gagging and coughing though like stuff is coming up but just not out all the time. She didn't think it was colic and thought it was just him adjusting to everything including my breast milk. Friday and Saturday were good days and then yesterday afternoon we were back to the screaming. Part of the issue seems to also be that he fights sleep. He will fall asleep nursing and as soon as I put him down he wakes or if I leave him there he wakes up about 10-15 mins later anyways. It's like I can't get him into a deep sleep. I desperately need advice!! This is my first baby and I'm left feeling like a horrible mother because I can't stop my baby from screaming.

Things we've tried: Swaddling (he usually freaks out but last night it worked to get him to sleep), nursing (sometimes he just refuses), pacifier (we've tried it twice because it's like he just wants to suck but both times I had a hard time getting him to nurse afterwards so now they are banned in our house), Tummy Calm (homeopathic remedy for gas, upset tummy, etc...), gas drops. I can't think of anything else but I know we've tried other things.

I'm just at a loss! I'm terrified to go out in public with him cause I never know when his screaming will start. Watching his cry and scream for such long periods of times is also wearing on me. Thank you for any advise you might have!!

Advertisement

itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

First of all, huge hugs! You are doing great because you are trying different things and you are continuing to try to find something that works!

Will he sleep while you hold him? If he stays asleep you can try a sling or wrap or just hold him. I know it is jar because you can't get anything done and it can be exhausting to hold a baby all day, but he is still really young. Also my DS used to sleep really well in the bouncy seat that vibrated at that age. I don't know if that is recommended anymore but it is something to look into.

Another thing that is really important is some sort of short break everyday for you. Feed him and hand him off. Take a walk, run to the store, just take some time away. Even 20 minutes will reenergize you. DS will be just fine.

Baths were also calming for my kids. Bath, swaddle, nurse, sleep. Worked for us.
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fussy Newborn

I'm sorry, that is really hard on you and I'm hoping it's just a phase.

I didn't have any of this with my own kids, but watched a baby girl with reflux(meds) and very strict routine from 6 weeks onwards.

Her mom was very strict by the 5 S's and it really did work for her, knocked her out to sleep like clockwork. I did use some of the techniques on my own later kids if needed.

Swaddle, Suck, Sideways, Shush, Swinging ???think that's it.

I would hold her in the swaddle blanket on her side(facing me) and almost do a side lunge so she would be swung back and forth, then shushing pretty loud. It's been awhile(she's 8 now) but I think those were the s's.

http://www.happiestbaby.com/book-dvd...est-baby-book/

Worth a try?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie180 View Post
First of all, huge hugs! You are doing great because you are trying different things and you are continuing to try to find something that works!

Will he sleep while you hold him? If he stays asleep you can try a sling or wrap or just hold him. I know it is jar because you can't get anything done and it can be exhausting to hold a baby all day, but he is still really young. Also my DS used to sleep really well in the bouncy seat that vibrated at that age. I don't know if that is recommended anymore but it is something to look into.

Another thing that is really important is some sort of short break everyday for you. Feed him and hand him off. Take a walk, run to the store, just take some time away. Even 20 minutes will reenergize you. DS will be just fine.

Baths were also calming for my kids. Bath, swaddle, nurse, sleep. Worked for us.
Thanks for your support! He doesn't sleep well if i hold him. He has been sleeping in his swing. I have an olives & applesauce carrier and he loves it most if the time. He had his first bath in his little tub the other night and was surprised how much he loved it and how relaxed he was in it. I do need to take some time to myself. My husband works 12 hour days five days a week and usually another 8 hours on Saturday so my days get long.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanbh View Post
I'm sorry, that is really hard on you and I'm hoping it's just a phase.

I didn't have any of this with my own kids, but watched a baby girl with reflux(meds) and very strict routine from 6 weeks onwards.

Her mom was very strict by the 5 S's and it really did work for her, knocked her out to sleep like clockwork. I did use some of the techniques on my own later kids if needed.

Swaddle, Suck, Sideways, Shush, Swinging ???think that's it.

I would hold her in the swaddle blanket on her side(facing me) and almost do a side lunge so she would be swung back and forth, then shushing pretty loud. It's been awhile(she's 8 now) but I think those were the s's.

http://www.happiestbaby.com/book-dvd...est-baby-book/

Worth a try?
I have watched that but I should rewatch it. I started swaddling him last night and it seemed to work well. Hopefully it keeps working!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Huge, huge hugs. The first few weeks are difficult anyway, let alone adding fussiness into the mix.

Mom's diet is not always the answer, but it was for me with my fussy newborns. My oldest was sensitive to dairy in breastmilk until 6 months. My second never seemed to outgrow it- we found out she has a severe dairy allergy (and we now own an Epipen!). When I took dairy out of my diet, she was a whole new kid!

They were both sensitive to several things right away: dairy, tomatoes, and onions. I was gradually able to add things back in. It can take 2 weeks for dairy to get out of your system.

Babies cannot self-soothe this early, so they get overtired really quickly. They fight SO hard against sleep. It's tough to find that balance. I think the ideas about swaddling are good ones. Also be on the lookout for their sleep cues early. There's supposedly this "magic window." With one child, that magic window worked. With the other, bwahahahaha. Yeah, let's it didn't work. She is an excellent sleeper now. There is hope! Keep on trying. ONE day at a time. One nap at a time!

The upright sleeping would have me looking at reflux again. My second slept well upright- would zonk right out then pop awake very quickly when on her back.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

DS1 was like this and I remember it very well. It sucked! Hang in there.

I would think about adding the paci back in, honestly. It can be such a help to have a soother that isn't your breast. A truly hungry baby will not take a pacifier. They know where milk comes from.

Definitely take a look at your diet--anything like broccoli, cauliflower, a lot of leafy greens, some babies are sensitive to dairy.. mine were both sensitive to soy. Horrible gas and burping/gagging.

I ditto teacherpippi--definitely look at the reflux issue some more. We used Zantac for ds2's reflux. It wasn't severe, but it bothered him, and the medicine is safe and helped. You do have to adjust the dosage for weight frequently, but for us it was worth it because it cut down so much on his discomfort. Sleeping well in the swing but not if held suggests to me that he needs to be upright a bit = reflux maybe. There are also wedges for the crib/bassinet to make sleeping position a little more upright. Worked for us.

Last edited by anne_josh; 04-30-2013 at 03:42 PM.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All of the advice here is great... i especially second the paci (you might need to try a BUNCH b/f you find one he likes - each of my boys had a strong preference for one type, all different, and wouldn't take anything but that ONE kind!! ) and swaddling. If i have another baby a swing is going to be something i obtain - the motion is soothing since they are used to walking around inside of you all day and being "jostled".....

My own contribution would be to try Mommy's Bliss Gripe Water. I know you said you tried a natural tummy remedy, but i SWEAR by the above. I tried several brands, but the MB worked the best..... I was liquid gold for DS2.