Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
aemarques
Registered Users
seller

Little ones with UTI's

So I suspect DD has a UTI, shes 8 months old, was restless last night and started this morning with a fever 99.9. Then 100.6, then 102. I gave her some ibuprofen and its gone down but she has no symptoms, no cough, snotty nose, rubbing/pulling ears, no teeth coming. Shes been extra lovey on me so I think something is bugging her, so possible UTI. If shes still feverish in the morning were heading to the doc but I'm curious about others experiences when their little one had one. How was your little one acting and What did they do to test and how did they treat it? Blood draw? Cath or bag? Antibiotic shots or oral? I'm nervous

Advertisement

aemarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Little ones with UTI's

My kids have never had a UTI. But is there something else that makes you suspect one? Kids get all sorts of fluke viruses that come with fevers and heal quickly on their own.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

My 3 yo dd has bilateral kidney reflux. When she gets an infection, it comes on suddenly and a very high fever. Like, up to 103 within an hour of otherwise being fine. She has no other symptoms other than spike in fever. She gets a straight cath for the specimen as that is the best way to not have a contaminated specimen. She will also be very lethargic and sleep for about 2 days with minimal waking.

ETA: she usually gets a shot of Rocephin and then the appropriate oral antibiotics after the culture and sensitivity come back at 48 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by 7 for now; 04-30-2013 at 07:04 AM.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
What makes you jump to UTI? Does she have belly pain, is she not peeing? I've just never seen infant girls getting UTIs, so it seems like an odd conclusion to jump to.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, none of mine had that as babies. My son had one back in early March. He's 6. The dr went entirely by symptoms that my son described (pressure/pain upon urination, frequent need to urinate even if it was just a few drops, being extremely uncomfortable, cloudy urine), and prescribed an oral antibiotic.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
My 3 yo dd has bilateral kidney reflux. When she gets an infection, it comes on suddenly and a very high fever. Like, up to 103 within an hour of otherwise being fine. She has no other symptoms other than spike in fever. She gets a straight cath for the specimen as that is the best way to not have a contaminated specimen. She will also be very lethargic and sleep for about 2 days with minimal waking.

ETA: she usually gets a shot of Rocephin and then the appropriate oral antibiotics after the culture and sensitivity come back at 48 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
My neighbor's daughter has the same thing. It's exactly as 7 for now described too - sudden high fever, no symptoms. Before they dx'd the reflux, she was cathed, got antibiotics and repeat.

Now she's on a daily antibiotic and yearly reflux tests.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter had a UTI once at 17 months old. She had almost no symptoms; just a low-grade fever for 5 days before it was diagnosed with a urine test. Even the doctor didn't think that would be the problem. I didn't give her tylenol because I figured that was her best chance of getting over it naturally; my husband pushed me to give her oral antibiotics which I did for a few days, then stopped with the doctor's okay. She's never had another one.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't feel like having a fever points to a UTI, personally. It is probably something else.

That said, my babies have never had one. My dd was tested at 6 months because of a very high fever that would not let up. Turns out she had roseolla (sp?). She is prone to UTI's and has had several. But, she is a little older now at age 5. She got her first around age 4...I can't remember exactly.

Keep in mind that the test for a UTI in an infant is to use a catheter to extract some urine. It's not fun for baby (or mom). And, those can cause UTI's because they can introduce germs into the urethra simply because they have to put something foreign where it shouldn't go. (I got one that way once.) So, it isn't without risk and isn't that simple.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I don't feel like having a fever points to a UTI, personally. It is probably something else.

That said, my babies have never had one. My dd was tested at 6 months because of a very high fever that would not let up. Turns out she had roseolla (sp?). She is prone to UTI's and has had several. But, she is a little older now at age 5. She got her first around age 4...I can't remember exactly.

Keep in mind that the test for a UTI in an infant is to use a catheter to extract some urine. It's not fun for baby (or mom). And, those can cause UTI's because they can introduce germs into the urethra simply because they have to put something foreign where it shouldn't go. (I got one that way once.) So, it isn't without risk and isn't that simple.
I agree.

It can be difficult to maintain sterility when cathing, especially with a wiggly baby.

A fever is likely viral and sometimes they are the only symptom that a person gets. Personally, I would probably call the doctor since she is under 1 year and find out their position on fevers and babies. But, unless they are concerned about a fever in a baby her age, I would probably just treat the fever as needed and let it run it's course.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had to do a urine sample with dd. There was a bag that was taped on, and then placed inside the diaper. No UTI for us, but a friend had a little one with one, and it turned out to be very serious.