Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
dorajoan
Registered Users
seller

What am I doing wrong?

My just 11 month dd has been going through some crazy sleep changes. She was sleeping pretty well, practically night weaned, waking once at night, and then she started waking and being up and happy but wanting to be awake. Nothing would get her down but time.

Then she transitioned into just waking a lot, but we wouldn't take her out of the crib...just pat her back and shush her. Sometimes it took awhile and she fought sleep, sometimes it was really easy, but she wasn't usually too upset about it.

Now she wakes up and absolutely HAS to nurse. If I pick her up to rock her or cuddle her she screams and arches and will not go down. I have tried plugging through but she just can't settle down. Maybe it's gas or teething? It's just that she seems fine during the day as far as being in pain goes, and sometimes she cries harder once I come in.

I want to comfort her if she needs me, but I also don't want to form bad habits.

She has been wanting to nurse a lot more during the day, and fusses desperately for it. PLEASE HELP ME!!

Advertisement

dorajoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
cbreeding
Registered Users

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Maybe teething? For my kiddos, teething made them want to nurse, nurse, nurse, especially when the molars came in and the eye teeth. The molars were particularly bad.

Also, could a big milestone be on the horizon, like walking?
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
dorajoan
Registered Users
seller

She is almost walking...I guess I want to know that this is a phase and that I'm not encouraging bad habits!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's a phase, all 3 of mine went through a HUGE sleep regression from 9-12 months and then suddenly things got 100x better.

The times we nursed we tried to limit it to 2-3 minutes and not a full on nursing session each time. Sometimes I'd wait a minute before going in to see if they would go back to sleep on their own. Sometimes I got really tired and just brought them into bed with us so we could all sleep (we were co-sleepers before the crib though).

I would just do what you can, but not feel bad about "giving in" sometimes if you really need to. I found they really got much much better just after their 1st birthday like a switch was flipped.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
dorajoan
Registered Users
seller

I hope so! Thanks for that! Any more thoughts? I need some consolation/advice here in sleep deprived land!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

To answer you're title question: nothing! Both my girls did this around that age. DD1 responded well to Ferber method. DD2 was a nightmare and we just tried to survive, then she grew out of it.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote