Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

sns vs. lactaid

I have IGT and am due on Tuesday -- I have donor milk ready to go and never produced any milk with my dd, so I am pretty sure I will be supplementing right from the get go with baby...
the hospital has one of the short term sns's, but as far as long term...
any input on which you prefer? sns vs. lactaid?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

maddies.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: sns vs. lactaid

I have heard/seen from moms who supplement while breastfeeding long-term that the Lact-Aid is a better choice.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Vegan Princess
Registered Users
seller

Lactaid for sure!!! Way easier and discreet to use than the sns. So easy to nurse in public with it! Best of luck!!!

Cindy
Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

great! thanks!! From what I have found on other sites... the Lactaid seems to win there also... going to order as soon as this baby decides to pick a birthday!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

I've never tried the lact-aid, but honestly, it was only the price tag that stopped me. If it's not an issue for you, I say go for it!

I'm also an IGT mama (secondary to PCOS), and have never really made much milk. This time I've used domperidone, an SNS, and a hospital grade pump, and I am making about 1/2 of his needs! He's been fed every single feeding at the breast and he's over 4 months old now. You can do it! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions
Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
I've never tried the lact-aid, but honestly, it was only the price tag that stopped me. If it's not an issue for you, I say go for it!

I'm also an IGT mama (secondary to PCOS), and have never really made much milk. This time I've used domperidone, an SNS, and a hospital grade pump, and I am making about 1/2 of his needs! He's been fed every single feeding at the breast and he's over 4 months old now. You can do it! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions
This is me too - made droplets with DS1, and 1/3rd of DS2's need (he self-weaned right at his 3rd birthday!!!). Hoping for a full supply with DC3 in July. In addition to the above, I'm adding metformin this time around, starting around 36-37 weeks. It's derived from goat's rue, and my LC has seen some really fantastic results recently.

To OP - I used an SNS with DS1, and it was a PITA. If I go that route again, I'll be using the Lact-aid - I think they carry them on Amazon for not too much $$. (I wonder if you could add to an Amazon baby registry for an additional 10% off around baby's due date?)
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post

Congrats on making 1/2 of his needs!!! That's AWESOME!!!

I am still prego waiting for this baby to pick a day! I have everything ready... going to use the temp sns that the hospital lc's have ready for me until I get home, and then I will order the lactaid as soon as I get home (whenever that may be!!)... also have the hospital grade pump on pre-order (they will meet me in the hospital with the paperwork)... already started some of the pregnancy safe herbs - hoping to see some production with those, and if not... then will try dom, but won't do reglan.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2tommy View Post
This is me too - made droplets with DS1, and 1/3rd of DS2's need (he self-weaned right at his 3rd birthday!!!). Hoping for a full supply with DC3 in July. In addition to the above, I'm adding metformin this time around, starting around 36-37 weeks. It's derived from goat's rue, and my LC has seen some really fantastic results recently.

To OP - I used an SNS with DS1, and it was a PITA. If I go that route again, I'll be using the Lact-aid - I think they carry them on Amazon for not too much $$. (I wonder if you could add to an Amazon baby registry for an additional 10% off around baby's due date?)
A full supply... how fantastic would that be!!! Good luck!!!
Goat's Rue is one that I am already on... heard some great things about that one! crossing my fingers!