Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Low weight gain:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibeca View Post
If your Lactation Consultant does NOT understand the affects of hypothyroid and PCOS, please find someone new. There could be many reasons for the slow weight gain. Has she been charted on the WHO growth charts?
This. Eitther your LC is not board certified (IBCLC), or is and just doesn't keep up with her reading as she should.

How's the height? Is that trending up, or falling along the same pattern as weight? Oftentimes with BF babies, they may fall backwards weight-wise, but be fine height-wise, and that's okay. (A really good IBCLC will be able to tell you this.)

If it's a quality of milk thing, you could try block feeding to be sure your LO is getting the fatty hind-milk. One of my friends had a really hard time with this (she had over-supply too) and ended up doing some pumping, and scraping off the fat layer to feed as a dessert after nursing. It's that kind of out-of-the-box thinking that saved her nursing relationship.

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2tommy

This. Eitther your LC is not board certified (IBCLC), or is and just doesn't keep up with her reading as she should.

How's the height? Is that trending up, or falling along the same pattern as weight? Oftentimes with BF babies, they may fall backwards weight-wise, but be fine height-wise, and that's okay. (A really good IBCLC will be able to tell you this.)

If it's a quality of milk thing, you could try block feeding to be sure your LO is getting the fatty hind-milk. One of my friends had a really hard time with this (she had over-supply too) and ended up doing some pumping, and scraping off the fat layer to feed as a dessert after nursing. It's that kind of out-of-the-box thinking that saved her nursing relationship.
I think the lactation consultant just isn't up to date. My LO is growing lengthwise. She's gone from the 50th percentile for height up to the 75th. Actually just recently she outgrew all her sleepers and the rise on her diapers. She's getting really long and skinny.

She's napping now, which she usually doesn't do. She had loose stool again this morning so she probably still feel yucky.

I like the idea about pumping and skimming off the fat and feeding that. I bet she would love. I'll try that. Even when I pump extra milk I have a hard time getting her to take more volume, but I bet she would like the yummy mommy cream off a spoon
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
Do you know of any coconut ice cream that is soy free? Maybe I could make my own some how. I have virgin unrefined coconut oil. Would that be okay? I wanted to make some energy bars like the Lara coconut cream pie.

I was also thinking I could eat half an avocado. I just started beef again so maybe that will help. It doesn't seem to bother her anymore.
I just looked at the So Delicious website and even their chocolate flavors are soy free for their coconut milk ice cream. I know there are other brands, but that's the one I've seen the most and is usually in mainstream grocery stores as well as health food stores. A friend of mine says the chocolate peanut butter flavor is the best. The virgin unrefined will work fine. It can give a more obvious coconut flavor if you cook with it, where the refined won't. If you don't mind the coconut flavor, then go for it.

As far as your nursing goals, even if you choose to supplement with formula, it doesn't have to be forever, and it doesn't mean you have to stop nursing altogether.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess

I just looked at the So Delicious website and even their chocolate flavors are soy free for their coconut milk ice cream. I know there are other brands, but that's the one I've seen the most and is usually in mainstream grocery stores as well as health food stores. A friend of mine says the chocolate peanut butter flavor is the best. The virgin unrefined will work fine. It can give a more obvious coconut flavor if you cook with it, where the refined won't. If you don't mind the coconut flavor, then go for it.

As far as your nursing goals, even if you choose to supplement with formula, it doesn't have to be forever, and it doesn't mean you have to stop nursing altogether.
I'll have to look at the store again. All the coconut ice cream I've seen has soy lectin in it, but I'll look for that one.

I gave her two ounces of BM from the freezer tonight before bed and now I have to pump. I have a small freezer stash to use until I can get my supply up.

Does more milk plus work better than fenugreek pills? I'm drinking the tea too. I'm starting to smell like syrup so I hope it starts working soon.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ditch the juice first and foremost. Any fluids at this point should be Breastmilk.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
Ditch the juice first and foremost. Any fluids at this point should be Breastmilk.
Okay good idea I'll lose the juice.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

What does your nursing routine look like? Give me a 12am-12pm mock schedule
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #18
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
I'll have to look at the store again. All the coconut ice cream I've seen has soy lectin in it, but I'll look for that one.

I gave her two ounces of BM from the freezer tonight before bed and now I have to pump. I have a small freezer stash to use until I can get my supply up.

Does more milk plus work better than fenugreek pills? I'm drinking the tea too. I'm starting to smell like syrup so I hope it starts working soon.
My understanding of herbs is that tinctures are more potent/effective than capsules. The More Milk Plus also has more than just fenugreek, so that may make a difference. I can't speak from experience though as I've never used either of them.

So Delocious does make soy ice cream as well and has the word So in big capitals and it can look like the word soy at first glance. Or you can check their website and see if any stores near you carry their products. Their website is sodeliciousdairyfree.com.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
What does your nursing routine look like? Give me a 12am-12pm mock schedule
Okay last night she went to bed at 11 pm and slept until 5. Ate for 30 min right side. Back to sleep. 7 am left side 20 min. 9 am right side 25 min. Went for a walk baby napped for about 20 min. 11:15 am started nursing left side & is still going. Shes half asleep so i just got her to latch on the right side. She typically doesn't take both sides anymore until the evening when I start to run really low. But when she's sleepy I can trick her.

She seems to be doing better and my breasts defiantly seem fuller. I've only been taking the fenugreek for three days and she's already sleeping much better. The pediatrician told me not to take the fenugreek because it makes the baby gassy, but I obviously need it because without it the baby doesn't sleep. I'm going to call WIC and see if I can stop by today or tomorrow and weigh her on their scale before and after a feeding.

Our pediatrician is 30 minutes away so I've been seriously considering a switch anyway. I found one that's only 15 minutes away that I'm going to look into. I thought WIC might have some suggestions for breastfeeding friendly peds too.

My daughter also has an upper lip tie. I took her to an ENT to have it evaluated and they told me not to worry about it because at the time she was gaining weight fine.

Since I do have PCOS would More Milk Plus or More Milk Special Blend be better suited for me?

Oh also after I fed her 2 ounces of BM by bottle last night I was able to pump 1 1/2 ounces and my left side never pumps well. It didn't fully develop due to PCOS and an eating disorder during puberty and it gives me trouble.

Thank you.

Last edited by MandaMommy2; 05-01-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

IF you do have a supply issue (which can really only be verified with an intake scale since the pump is never a good indicator of how much baby can extract), and you have PCOS, you might benefit from Metformin. There is info on the Metformin protocol to increase milk production in the book "Making More Milk".

Also, if it's a milk production issue, I personally have better luck taking the separated ingredients than taking MMP. Goat's Rue is a fantastic galactagogue - it's a component of MMP, but I find that higher doses work better for me. And I can add in Fenugreek, Alfalfa & Blessed Thistle.