Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
Jewels6708
Registered Users
seller

Re: Low weight gain:(

Have you seen an IBCLC? They know SO much more than a LC. I had a horrible time with my oldest and didn't know about IBCLC's. With my second I used an IBCLC before he was even born. World of difference! I would strongly recommend you trying to find one.

Try to leave LO on longer than usual to make sure babe gets all the fatty part of your milk. Also, you could look into golacta. It's a natural supplement for lactation. It has amazing nutrients in it! Have you looked into marshmallow root? It adds fat to your milk. I have tried most of the herbs mentioned so far and milk plus is great! Try staying on one set of herbs for a month and the switch to a new group. It will help to keep your body guessing and in turn producing more milk.

Try adding extra virgin olive oil to LO's solids. Lots of great healthy fats there. You could also add butter. Whole grains, avocados, and expressed milk mixed in other food are also great sources of extra fat. I would nurse babe as often as babe would like(which I figure your doing and keep a bottle of expressed milk out for LO. That way LO is always getting those good fats in.

My kids lost lots of weight at birth, more than the norm. And gained weight very slowly! For a long time it was all we could do to keep DS above 0% fat to length ratio. I understand what your goings through. It's no fun!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by Jewels6708; 05-01-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Jewels6708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels6708
Have you seen an IBCLC? They know SO much more than a LC. I had a horrible time with my oldest and didn't know about IBCLC's. With my second I used an IBCLC before he was even born. World of difference! I would strongly recommend you trying to find one.

Try to leave LO on longer than usual to make sure babe gets all the fatty part of your milk. Also, you could look into golacta. It's a natural supplement for lactation. It has amazing nutrients in it! Have you looked into marshmallow root? It adds fat to your milk. I have tried most of the herbs mentioned so far and milk plus is great! Try staying on one set of herbs for a month and the switch to a new group. It will help to keep your body guessing and in turn producing more milk.

Try adding extra virgin olive oil to LO's solids. Lots of great healthy fats there. You could also add butter. Whole grains, avocados, and expressed milk mixed in other food are also great sources of extra fat. I would nurse babe as often as babe would like(which I figure your doing and keep a bottle of expressed milk out for LO. That way LO is always getting those good fats in.

My kids lost lots of weight at birth, more than the norm. And gained weight very slowly! For a long time it was all we could do to keep DS above 0% fat to length ratio. I understand what your goings through. It's no fun!!!
Not necessarily true. The difference between an LC and an IBCLC is an exam. An great LC CAN know just as much. Fwiw
Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2tommy
IF you do have a supply issue (which can really only be verified with an intake scale since the pump is never a good indicator of how much baby can extract), and you have PCOS, you might benefit from Metformin. There is info on the Metformin protocol to increase milk production in the book "Making More Milk".

Also, if it's a milk production issue, I personally have better luck taking the separated ingredients than taking MMP. Goat's Rue is a fantastic galactagogue - it's a component of MMP, but I find that higher doses work better for me. And I can add in Fenugreek, Alfalfa & Blessed Thistle.
I was already on Metformin pre pregnancy and I went back on it at 8 weeks pp. I've been taking 1000 mg twice a day. I wonder if that's the highest dose I can take.

I just bought the fenugreek and don't want to waste it. I guess I could try and find some goats rue to take with it. What's a good dose of goats rue when taken with fenugreek?

Thanks
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
I was already on Metformin pre pregnancy and I went back on it at 8 weeks pp. I've been taking 1000 mg twice a day. I wonder if that's the highest dose I can take.

I just bought the fenugreek and don't want to waste it. I guess I could try and find some goats rue to take with it. What's a good dose of goats rue when taken with fenugreek?

Thanks
Oh, you can absolutely take them together! You can add alfalfa & blessed thistle too!

The dosage for Goat's Rue should be on the bottle - it depends on your weight. There are a handful of brands, but I trust Motherlove. Price check between places like amazon, lucky vitamin & motherlove. I think I usually find lucky vitamin to have the best prices on it.

Interesting that you went off of met during pregnancy. The info I've read indicates that the best success is in those who take it during pregnancy (starting at least by 2nd or 3rd trimester) and continuing until at least 6 months PP. It's still a fairly experimental usage, and you have to find an LC & OB/CNM who work well together to get an Rx for this purpose (at least in my experience), but my LC has seen some fantastic results...
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #25
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Not necessarily true. The difference between an LC and an IBCLC is an exam. An great LC CAN know just as much. Fwiw
Kind of semantics...ALL IBCLC's are LC's, but not all LC's are IBCLC's. The IBCLC is a credential that ensures the practitioner is properly educated, and maintains the minimum required continuing education credits on an ongoing basis.

So yes, a non-credentialized LC might know as much as an IBCLC, but you don't have the same level of assurance that she has received the same education, or is held to the same practice standards. That's why the IBCLC is a job requirement for most hospital LC's that I'm familiar with, and why it's also a requirement for most insurance reimbursement IME.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2tommy

Kind of semantics...ALL IBCLC's are LC's, but not all LC's are IBCLC's. The IBCLC is a credential that ensures the practitioner is properly educated, and maintains the minimum required continuing education credits on an ongoing basis.

So yes, a non-credentialized LC might know as much as an IBCLC, but you don't have the same level of assurance that she has received the same education, or is held to the same practice standards. That's why the IBCLC is a job requirement for most hospital LC's that I'm familiar with, and why it's also a requirement for most insurance reimbursement IME.
I know. I am a lactation counselor

It is not a requirement near me. But you are usually an RN and an LC here. Lol.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it sounds like a problem. Dropping a small amt in % at this point is somewhat normal. A lot of babies will get super chubby (high %) in the first 4-6 months and then sort of plateau out and get back to their "normal" percentile and curve. I wouldn't do anything drastic and follow her weight for a bit and see if she doesn't begin to follow a lower curve. If the percentiles drop significantly or she starts to lose or doesn't gain at all, or if all growth parameters are dropping and/or she is not meeting milestones, I'd first ask for some basic labwork (CBC, BMP, Prealbumin, T4, TSH) to eval for metabolic issues vs inadequate nutrition.
(FWIW, I'm a PNP and LC)
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #28
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DS stayed small for several months then jumped up to high 90's %ile after I started the tricks I mentioned above. Once he started walking he slimmed down and now he's on the short side of normal and skinny but well within normal.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #29
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy
I don't think it sounds like a problem. Dropping a small amt in % at this point is somewhat normal. A lot of babies will get super chubby (high %) in the first 4-6 months and then sort of plateau out and get back to their "normal" percentile and curve. I wouldn't do anything drastic and follow her weight for a bit and see if she doesn't begin to follow a lower curve. If the percentiles drop significantly or she starts to lose or doesn't gain at all, or if all growth parameters are dropping and/or she is not meeting milestones, I'd first ask for some basic labwork (CBC, BMP, Prealbumin, T4, TSH) to eval for metabolic issues vs inadequate nutrition.
(FWIW, I'm a PNP and LC)
So far she's meeting all her milestones. She's not crawling yet, but she just turned 8 months yesterday so there's still time. Well actually she can kind of crawl backwards, but she hasn't figured out how to go forwards yet.

I'm going to try and stay home as much as possible and just nurse the baby. I think her teething is making her not want to nurse sometimes too. She refused to nurse tonight and i was uncomfortable so I pumped one breast. Gave her the two ounces I expressed and then She nursed off the other side. It's almost like she gets concerned that the pump is stealing her milk and then she wants it.

The fenugreek seems to be helping a lot. I feel bad for not buying more sooner. I'm really hoping her weight gain picks up again or at least doesn't get worse.

I actually have an endocrinology apt Monday so I'll ask them if there is anything else they can do for my PCOS and hypothyroidism.

Thank you for your help. I just worry about my little princess.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #30
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2

So far she's meeting all her milestones. She's not crawling yet, but she just turned 8 months yesterday so there's still time. Well actually she can kind of crawl backwards, but she hasn't figured out how to go forwards yet.

I'm going to try and stay home as much as possible and just nurse the baby. I think her teething is making her not want to nurse sometimes too. She refused to nurse tonight and i was uncomfortable so I pumped one breast. Gave her the two ounces I expressed and then She nursed off the other side. It's almost like she gets concerned that the pump is stealing her milk and then she wants it.

The fenugreek seems to be helping a lot. I feel bad for not buying more sooner. I'm really hoping her weight gain picks up again or at least doesn't get worse.

I actually have an endocrinology apt Monday so I'll ask them if there is anything else they can do for my PCOS and hypothyroidism.

Thank you for your help. I just worry about my little princess.
Are you medicated for your hypo? I have wicked hashimotos and even when my levels were in the red zone for months (oops...) I had no milk issues.