Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Aligirl1515
Registered Users

39 weeks question?

Hey everyone! Quick question advice - I'm 39 weeks today and was planning a unmedicated hospital birth.

I have pretty bad swelling in my feet and ankles and my blood pressure is high - 138/85. My usual is low 110/75. My normal weight is 105 and I'm right around 135 now.

I'm scared that at my appt tomorrow he will want to induce me. it scares me because I've heard pitosin makes contractions much harder.

Can I get advice..opinions?

Advertisement

Aligirl1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 39 weeks question?

I think 138/85 is still "normal" but the swelling can be an issue.
But there can be many factors in swelling feet (heat, diet...ect)

If your doctor recommeneds induction, you can always say that you'd rather wait.
Pitocin contractions are MUCH harder than non pitocin contractions (in my opinion).

I think the normal gestation for first time moms is 41w 3d.
Good luck tomorrow!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

The swelling and elevated heart rate are both symptoms of Pre eclampsia. If your blood pressure is high at your appt tomorrow he will most likely induce you tomorrow night. They will start slowly with the pitocin so its not too much too fast. Just see what you can tolerate. Every woman is different and every pitocin dose is different.

If your labor is progressing, they might take you off pitocin at some point to see if you will keep going on your own.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had pit with both of my births...and had no pain meds with either of them. The pit wasn't horrible, I did have them turn it down at one point with dd but that was because I was transitioning and her head was almost out!
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

30 pounds is not that much to gain the whole pregnancy, so I wouldn't use that to measure anything really. Rest and don't overhydrate for now, and see what they say at your appointment. Try not to stress too much. You can also research pre-eclampsia so that you'll know more about it if they want to diagnose you with it. It's not just high blood pressure, there are also other signs, like increases reflexes and protein in the urine.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's more like 'borderline" BP but with swelling can be concerning. I would request a protein urine dip and preeclampsia labs - if both are fine, I personally wouldn't induce (take it for what it's worth - this is coming from someone who has dealt with pregnancy induced hypertension, preeclampsia, and HELLP).
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
I've had pit with both if my previous pregnancies. Yeah its uncomfortable and I don't have anything to compare it to, but my 2nd was totally natural. No drugs. If it happens you CAN do it!!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
lanbryson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It does make them worse but ive had 5 kids all with pit and no drugs its all I've ever known. U can do it. Our bodies were made for child birth. It's all in ur head
lanbryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our bodies were made for childbirth, but they were not made for induced childbirth. Inductions come with a much higher c-section rate and a much higher rate of distressed babies. If they are needed, they can save lives. If they are not truly medically needed, they are foolish.

If you've got pre-eclamsia, then induction is a wise choice for you and baby at this stage.

If you don't then it's best to wait. As the PP have mentioned already, it's normal for a first time mom to go at least one week over, so your body might not be ready yet, and then an induction can be pretty hard on you and baby.

The question then is whether you've got pre-e or not. And again, as others have said, look at the other symptoms online and see if you've got any of them. Swelling of legs and feet is pretty normal, especially with a first baby in warm weather. Swelling of hands and face is not.

If you have to be induced, don't panic - take it one contraction at a time, and remember it isn't going to last forever. If you can line up a good support person now even, that would be wise. Someone calm and compassionate who knows about childbirth and has been there/done that.

All the best for a great birth! You can do it mama!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
D&MsMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aligirl1515 View Post
Hey everyone! Quick question advice - I'm 39 weeks today and was planning a unmedicated hospital birth.

I have pretty bad swelling in my feet and ankles and my blood pressure is high - 138/85. My usual is low 110/75. My normal weight is 105 and I'm right around 135 now.

I'm scared that at my appt tomorrow he will want to induce me. it scares me because I've heard pitosin makes contractions much harder.

Can I get advice..opinions?
I would do everything possible to avoid being induced. Try going for a long walk.. keep your hips moving! I was super swollen towards the end with my previous two pregnancies and would soak my feet in cold water. Not to scare you, but I was induced with pitocin and yes, it makes the contractions very intense. They kept cranking up the pitocin because it wasn't doing enough, and then out of no where whamo! I even had the epidural and was still in extreme pain. I tore horribly and was hemorrhaging pretty bad. Horrible experience. Second baby came early and came out without any problem. Third baby coming is going to be a home water birth. The more natural you go the better.. less painful in my opinion.