Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
hgibson2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Let down issue

Does anyone else have issues with let down with a pump. My son is 9 months old and exclusively breast fed. He won't take a bottle but trying to get him on a cup. Trying to pump and feed is a challenge in itself but my body won't let down and pump very much when doing so. Does anyone else have this issue?

Advertisement

hgibson2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Helloloni
Registered Users
seller

I do - my daughter is 8 months and it can take 20 minutes of pumping before a let down and I can only pump like 4 total ounces from both breasts. What the heck.
Helloloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
hgibson2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let down issue

I know I don't get it. Other mothers I know are pumping ounces and ounces and I can't even get a whole bottle full it's very aggrevating
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
77Lipen
Registered Users

I could never pump enough to feed a whole bottle but in my month I had to exclusively pump (and supplement) i always found that at 3-5am i had the most.

And I ate a ton of flaxseed pumpkin cookies once and actually got 6oz!!! Not sure if the cookies had anything to do with it but they were delicious

Do you try the whole 'smelling a sleeper and visualizing thing? Didn't really do much for me but maybe it will help.

Also you could try hand expression? I dunno... I do it once and a while to mix with new foods... Lol but I don't know if I could keep at it for a full bottle or cup.

I have a friend who pumps 8oz at a time and nurses... So frustrating.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I will maybe not be of a big help, i can only tell you my experience, very similar to yours:
I had the same problem when I pumped while bf my first baby. I began pumping when she was 6months, and pumped maybe 2oz from both breasts. Then with my second I started at 4weeks and reviewed the "pumping technique" (fast pumping then slower after I felt the let down, which took sometimes more than a minute) with my manual pump. And then I managed to pump 4-5 oz per breast. I guess in my case it was both matter of when I started pumping and how I was pumping.
Only my second baby took the bottle.
So this time with DD3 I am also planning on beginning to pump ASAP. (baby is due in 3 days)

Maybe you could try pumping while looking at your LO, or in the nursery, or when he is on the opposite breast?
Good luck mama!
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
hgibson2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have tried tandem pumping (pump while nursing) and still don"t get much.Recently my son has been really sick and not nursing as much so I have been trying to pump just so that my milk supply won"t go down. I have noticed that with him not nursing as much that I pump more (maybe an ounce more). I just don't understand how it is people can sit and pump 8 ounces. I am lucky to get 4. I know my son gets enough because he gains weight and he nurses for at least 10-15 minutes on each side. When I pump I don't even have enough milk flow to pump for 10 minutes. I have tried taking fenugreek also to try to make more. So frustrating.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

3-4 oz total per pumping is normal
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Ala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am so jealous! I am not even getting an ounce when double pumping! I have to pump 5-6 times to get enough for one bottle!!
Ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
hgibson2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Usually when double pumping I am only getting 2 ounces total, but since my son is sick and not nursing like he is usually I am now getting 4 ounces sometimes 5. Still I have to wait about 5 hours in between to even get that amount. I have never understood why my cousins can pump on the way to work (yes while driving with the hands free pump system) and get 8 ounces on both sides.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
77Lipen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgibson2005
Usually when double pumping I am only getting 2 ounces total, but since my son is sick and not nursing like he is usually I am now getting 4 ounces sometimes 5. Still I have to wait about 5 hours in between to even get that amount. I have never understood why my cousins can pump on the way to work (yes while driving with the hands free pump system) and get 8 ounces on both sides.
I've always wondered how they expect women to work after mat leave but then people go on about still breast feeding. There's no way I could get enough to feed my baby for the day by just pumping (and I've tried the fenugreek, mothers milk tea, oatmeal, lactation cookies... Ect). I've pumped round the clock every 2 hrs for 20 minutes to try and get ahead of what baby will need next feeding (she couldn't latch properly and cause a bit of damage in the beginning) and I still sometimes had to supplement.

But middle of the night seemed to yield an ounce or 2 more on occasion (maybe cause I was so relaxed?).

Anyway... Your cousin is an anomaly. My nurse said that a couple ounces is normal and even some women never get a good letdown with the pump.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote