Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basic Wednesday

BTW, as part of researching stuff for Ginger, I checked out all the old social skill books our library had that American Girl put out in the 90s. IMHO they are aimed at tweens/middle school age kids, but I didn't see much that would negatively impact a younger kid, other than having to explain what a tampon was and why it would be embarrassing if it fell out of your purse. The girls have been glued to these books and I'm wondering if it is temporarily making Rosie more moody and tweeny than usual. Ginger on the other hand has improved some but most of it she still doesn't totally get so it really hasn't had the same impact.

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjbbrown View Post
Oh joy Jess...

Janine: lettuce, beans, peas, squash, watermelon, pumpkin, corn, broccoli, beets, carrots, basil, oregano, dill, green onions, sunflowers wild grasses

Sounds good. Yummy food to made from all of that. I think the bonus of not having too much of any one thing is you wont get bored of any of it before its gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
Hola mamacitas. I have had a full day and am ready for a nap.

Our garden thus far has tomatoes, snap peas, cucumbers, peppers, broccoli and a lone pumpkin plant. I am starting some green bean, squash, and zucchini seeds in homemade seed tapes this week to plant either this weekend or next. And then I will have to buy new strawberry plants as we were not able to save the ones from the last house. I have already been asked twice why I started the garden so early, and I still maintain it's fine and if they freeze/fail, I will just buy new plants.

Rosie is a moody PITA and now I wonder if boys have anything to do with it. Doubt it, I think it is typical 9YO girl drama, but I guess you can never know unless they fess up.

Esther got out of her tank this morning. DH insisted she needed a new, smaller, glass water bottle with a metal hanging thing, and the first two weeks she would bang it against the glass all night. Last night she figured out how to shimmy up on top of it, and gnawed a hole through the steel mesh top to get out. We never saw how she got down from the table, so we don't know if she fell or if she shimmied between the wall and the table leg (because we have seen her do that with her wheel in the tank). I don't think she was out long before Rosie saw her. Rosie was actually pretty on top of it, blocked the stairwell down to the basement and tried to trap her in the bathroom before I could get down to help. I basically just presented the hamster ball and she climbed right in. So I *hope* she's ok, she appears to be, but I didn't give her a full inspection with all the kids underfoot and hyped up from the escape. I will check on her later.

So Ian and I went and got the oil changed in my car, bought a new smaller wheel for Esther lest she make another attempt, got groceries, and met DH for lunch at Fuddruckers. Yum. Then I came home and found half the chair I ordered on the porch. I was worried the other half was at the old house, but I tracked it and it hasn't left the distribution center in Illinois yet.

Super pretty outside, like 77 and sunny. Gonna take Ian to the lake in a bit.
I'm glad the hamster is ok.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My current job is looking more in the 70% range for today...we shall see
jwjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does that mean they want to keep at least some librarians? Yay!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Back from the lake. I know the shots I put on Facebook make it look so glam, LOL, but really we just have a 20' wide plot of sand, we share with two dozen houses. Half of them are million+ dollar lakefront homes that are second homes, so those people never use it and thus it is more like sharing with a dozen houses.

I took a pic from the dock so you can see. In the background you can see some of the big-arse lakefront houses. And the rack of all these boats I have never seen used. We probably walk about a third of a mile from our house to get there, and very rarely is someone else there too. On days like today I feel really blessed we get to come here.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjbbrown View Post
My current job is looking more in the 70% range for today...we shall see
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No Cheryl, it means my principal and staff are willing to give up some classroom funding to keep me.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #18
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, it's good they have the power to do that, I guess. It sucks they have to use classroom funds though. It's a no-brainer, I'd choose keeping you over some classroom funds any day. I was hoping the district was at least considering keeping some of the librarians and splitting them between schools. That's what many of the underfunded schools do here. It's not ideal, but it's better than no librarians at all.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG my dinner is sooooo yummy. Chicken cutlets, sauteed mushrooms, brown/wild rice mix, brussel sprouts...
Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
mom2sadieandbean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our school doesn't have a full-time librarian, but we only have four elementary classrooms. They all get a 30 minute library class once a week. The library is very accessible for the kids, and once they get to first grade and are good readers, the teachers typically let them exchange books as often as necessary. Our setup is very laid-back, but it promotes reading. It isn't unusual to see kids reading in the library during their down time.
mom2sadieandbean is offline   Reply With Quote