Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mastitis :(

I am miserable it came on so sunndenly yesterday afternoon and quickly became miserable. I am taking ibuprofen to help with the pain and fever, and all the awful symptoms that go along wih it. I have red streaks up my breast where it hurts. Am I gonna have to have antibiotics or is there any other options? I never had this with dd.

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mastitis :(

Hop in the shower and massage your breasts firmly. When you get out of the shower, apply ice to bring down the inflammation. And nurse like crazy if you can!

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took a hot bath last night and did hot compresses. Then I just layed in bed with baby and let her nurse all night while I massaged down toward nipple. Then red streaks appeared in the middle I the night and are spreading since this morning
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i say pump alot to flush breasts too. and get in the antibiotics or you will feel awful
Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
Hop in the shower and massage your breasts firmly. When you get out of the shower, apply ice to bring down the inflammation. And nurse like crazy if you can!
this is what i did when i had it with ds. it got better in a couple of days.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
birdinhand
Registered Users

Red streaks are worrisome as they can be indicative of staph. If your symptoms persist longer than 24 hours, or your fever gets higher than 102, that warrants a call or visit to your doctor to talk medication options (antibiotics).
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't mess around with mastitis - when I notice a clogged duct, I go to my Dr and get an Rx with the promise not to take any meds until it actually becomes mastitis... which it always does for me, within a day of noticing the clog. It has never made a difference how much I work to get the clog gone, I'm just very prone to that infection unfortunately. I have had it at least twice with each baby, 3 times with one of them. It's horrible and I wouldn't wish that on my enemy!

With feeling like you are, and especially with the red streaks, I'd be getting meds asap.

Also, I wouldn't pump - that's going to stimulate your breasts to produce more milk than baby needs right now, which can just make things that much worse.
And if any Dr says to stop nursing and pump and dump, they're wrong - baby will not get sick from your milk and won't catch anything
Get baby nursing as much/often as she will, massage like heck while she's nursing (and cry while you're at it, it really does hurt like hell). Though it can take some acrobatics, try to get her chin pointed at the clog - it helps to drain it better.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies for responding. I went to the dr and got clindamycin. The red streaks are still spreading and it is so painful. I can't take care of these girls feeling like this so I need to start antibiotics. I also got some probiotics at the pharmacy so hopefully I won't get any issues from the antibiotics. The dr was very supportive and told me to keep on nursing! Which of course I was doing anyways. I appreciate everyone's sympathy and advice. Thanks ladies.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's exactly why I run for meds at the first signs - I get so sick, so quickly, and then I can't function to take care of the kids at all.
about the probiotics - just make sure you're timing things right with the probiotics, antibiotics, and food. I had an interesting (and very exact!) schedule when I was dealing with them while nursing Levi.
If you can get some children's probiotics, it wouldn't hurt to give baby some as well - fend off thrush and diaper rash.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote