Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Swaddle or no swaddle

We are using a woombie at a month old but not sure she loves it. My toddler used the woombie till she was 5 months.....

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Swaddle or no swaddle

Harper sleeps awesome when swaddled. We will continue to swaddle as long as we have good night sleeps
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena View Post
We are using a woombie at a month old but not sure she loves it. My toddler used the woombie till she was 5 months.....
Mine toddler did too!! So far we have co slept so not sure he'll ever swaddle. Maybe.....
Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Aubree doesn't like to be swaddled, she likes her feet sticking out
Old 05-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It all depends on the baby - some need swaddling for decent sleep, some are fine without being swaddled.
DD1 hated being swaddled, but couldn't sleep on her back without it. So we would swaddle her, she would scream in anger at us, we would cuddle and calm her, and she'd be out like a light.
DS1 loved being swaddled - I had to find bigger blankets for wrapping him because we were swaddling him until he was near a year old!
DS2 loved having his arms swaddled, but his feet and legs out - looked funny
DS3 was swaddled for 4-5 months. Piper doesn't need swaddling for sleeping - she naps without being swaddled most of the time - but I still swaddle her after putting her nighttime diaper on, I think she recognizes it as meaning bedtime. Through the night she'll squirm and work her arms free so her hands end up by her face like she prefers to sleep anyways.

One note about swaddling - they recommend not swaddling baby's legs, but to wrap their arms and leave their legs uncovered or loosely covered, kwim? Baby's legs shouldn't be straight and extended, but should be able to lie tucked in their natural position.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Arie doesn't like to be swaddled, we gave that up within the first nights home! He likes to have his arms and legs out, not squished.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kip hates being swaddled Within a minute he starts crying...he had his hands up by his face every ultrasound and wants them there EVERY time he sleeps He sleeps on his side because of his reflux/ puking issues.
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

DD1 LOVED the swaddle. She was swaddled til 7 months, but she liked her fists up by her chin, so we swaddled her that way.

DD2 HATED it. She would scream bloody murder.

Alie likes it, but its not as "magical" as it was for DD1.

We use the Summer Infant Swaddle me blankets. I like the Velcro because I can't do it otherwise, and like that it keeps the legs loose since it can cause hip problems if their legs are straightened and shoved together too much.

We only swaddle for night time sleeping.

Last edited by mibarra; 05-03-2013 at 09:30 AM.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
birdinhand
Registered Users

I don't swaddle. I have in the past, and I have seen it work wonders, but I don't feel it is a normal developmental help or need for babies in general. With a very fussy baby I see how it helps parents cope, and I am all about coping. MY babies have been pretty low-key, sleep with me, are held a lot by me and by siblings, and it really isn't something we have worked into our baby routine.

But I am a believer in everybody doing what's best for them and what works, and while this works for us, I know every family is different.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
BiskMama
Registered Users
seller

Yep, Nina gets swaddled every night; it’s the only real way my husband and I can get some sleep. She likes her arms out though so she can suck her fingers, but the rest of her is snugly rapped up.
BiskMama is offline   Reply With Quote