Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
mama2callabel
Registered Users

Prefolds on chubby/older babies?

Hello, I am expecting my third child this summer. I have prefolds and flats that I plan to use with wool covers mostly during the day and fitteds with wool at night. I know that last time I cloth diapered, my prefolds and flats quickly seemed to become too small to fasten on my chubby babies and I often pad or trifolded. I'm pretty sure I have the "infant" size of osocozy prefolds. If I get some "premium" sized ones will I likely be able to fasten them on a larger baby? With wool soakers I won't really be able to trifold but I don't want to always use fitteds . I do have a few wraps but I like the pull on ones as well.

Any advice is appreciated! I am in Canada and don't have GMD or a lot of other options to choose from to buy bigger prefolds and I don't see any on Etsy.

Thanks!

Advertisement

mama2callabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
Featherhead
Registered Users

Prefolds on chubby/older babies?

Rearz is a great source for prefolds. They have a few more size options than most other brands you can get in Canada. Their medium prefolds are about the same width as a premium prefold, but a little shorter, and then they have a bigger size or two as well. I found I could fasten the mediums easily till around 20 lbs or so. I can still just fasten them on my skinny 2 year old. If you don't mind folding down the top, then you could just go with premium prefolds. I like my Bummis prefolds as well.
Featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
mama2callabel
Registered Users

Re: Prefolds on chubby/older babies?

Thanks! My first two were almost 20 lbs by 3 or 4 months so I really think I'll probably need the premium size. I just don't want to buy more prefolds and end up still not able to use them fastened.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Featherhead
Registered Users

OH wow, lol! I'd do the premium then, and if your baby outgrows those, you could go for the Rearz larger size.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
Featherhead
Registered Users

Thinking about it some more, I'm not sure if you would be able to fasten the premium prefolds much longer than the Rearz medium, as they are the same width. With a 20 lb young baby, you are going to run out of width before length I would think. Premium prefolds are usually 14" before washing, which is the same as GMD yellow edge. They are just a lot longer.

I think if my babies grew like that I would want GMD flats. I don't think you can get anything that size in Canada. Is there any way you can order from GMD? I'm in Canada, but close to the border, so I'm planning to order some flats and ship them to a place across the border, and then go pick them up.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
mama2callabel
Registered Users

They don't ship to Canada and i'm not near the border at all Maybe I can sew together two flats or modify my current prefolds or something lol. It makes no sense to me that they don't just ship to Canada. The shipping can't be that bad. Frustrating
Old 04-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
Featherhead
Registered Users

For flats and prefolds it actually is really expensive to ship to Canada . They used to, but it was super expensive.

I have seen muslin squares of various sizes on Amazon.ca that would work well as flat diapers. Also, if you have IKEA you could check if they have any of their muslin burp cloths left. I just got some at the Winnipeg IKEA a month ago. I even considered buying diaper flannel and serging it the size I wanted.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
mama2callabel
Registered Users

I feel like a large company like that could afford to do it- stuff from etsy doesn't cost that much to ship from the US. They would make a lot of money if they made it easier for Canadians to order.

I will see what I can come up with. I think the Rearz larges should work though. We will see. Thanks for your ideas
Old 04-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

If you know how to see a straight line maybe check out Chana putnam's YouTube channel. She has a tutorial for adding tabs to prefolds. I used old tshirts so the tabs had stretch and it gave me the width I needed to be able to continue using my infant prefolds fastened. It gave me another 5 months of wear since his rise wasn't an issue.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote