Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
babymakes3.4.5....
Registered Users
seller
seller

A couple of "What am I doing wrong?" Questions! SSC and RS

I have a Beco 4G SSC and a Maya RS.

Yesterday I went on an 8 block walk wearing my 20lb 5mo old front facing in with the Beco and my hips hurt badly. Is it an adjustment problem? Do I just need to work on my core strength? Something else I had not thought of?

Also, I like the ring sling for grocery store trips and getting quick things done around the house when DS just needs to be held, but most pictures I see, the ring is up by the shoulder. I put mine on that way, but by the time it's fully adjusted, the ring is about between my breasts. Is there a way to tighten without shifting the entire sling?

Please help! Thank you

Advertisement

babymakes3.4.5.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
saturn
Registered Users

Re: A couple of "What am I doing wrong?" Questions! SSC and RS

Forward facing carries are harder on your back and hips, you may find the SSC more comfortable if you carry your baby if he is facing you. It also might help to tighten the carrier a bit.

With the ring sling, try starting with the rings higher on your shoulder, and with less slack in the sling. The other trick is as you tighten, work the extra slack in the sling around the baby and towards the rings. Think of tightening as "gliding" the fabric around the baby, rather than keeping baby and fabric as a unit. If needed, you can reach into the sling and slightly lift the baby, that makes it easier to slide the fabric around him.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Pearsag
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have had the same issue with ring slings....I'm hoping it will get easier with practice, because it seems like one of the simplest to grab on the go and be able to nurse in.
Pearsag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Back carries are a million times easier for me than front carries. My baby is 8 months and I wore her on my back (in a Boba 3G) as soon as her head control was adequate. I just put her in the carrier while sitting on or standing next to the couch, in case she dives out of my arms (hasn't happened). I wear her on my front when I'm putting her on at the car when we're out, unless I have a friend or DH to help.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
saturn
Registered Users

Here's a good ring sling video that illustrates what I was describing:

http://s391.photobucket.com/user/morse_family/media/babywearing%20instructional%20videos/Ringsling%20Instructional%20Videos/M4H00281.mp4.html?sort=6&o=3
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
babymakes3.4.5....
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you so much! I did try to start with the sling a bit tighter, and that did seem to help! I still can't quite move the baby apart from the sling but I'm working at it - learning curve I guess!

With the SSC I had him on my front, but he was facing in, not out. I have found that leaving it a tiny bit looser has actually helped a ton, not sure why though. He is still very secure in it, otherwise I wouldn't use it

I appreciate the help ladies! It makes a big difference!
babymakes3.4.5.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
babydust2012
Registered Users
seller

Sometimes I get hip pain with my Beco carrier, I find that it's caused by positioning of the hip strap. Try one day placing it lower and walk around and other day place it higher and see if there is a difference.

When tightening fabric on the ring sling, pull the fabric to the side, instead of downward. This way rings won't get too low.

Leave rs fabric slightly loose around the baby, place your arm under the bum and with another hand slide ring sling back to proper place (it's really easy with a bit of practice).

After that place rs a little bit off the shoulder, so it doesn't slide to your neck. Finish tightening your rs. That's all to it

Last edited by babydust2012; 05-11-2013 at 10:07 PM.
babydust2012 is offline   Reply With Quote