Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:
How much breast milk does your 4-5 month old consume?

I'm going back to work in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to build up my stash but its hard! A 5 oz bottle of EBM used to be an entire feeding. Recently my family and DH have told me DS will take a 5 oz bottle during a feeding and still be hungry. How much does your 4-5 month old drink?

DS is 17 pounds and 4.5 months.

I'm thinking I'll try and weigh him before and after feedings with me to see what his intake is.

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much breast milk does your 4-5 month old consume?

There is some good info on kellysmom, but your LO shouldn't be taking more than 4 oz, he may be acting like he is hungry because he is used to sucking a lot when nursing. Have your family give him the bottle and perhaps offer a paci after, distract him, try to soothe him other ways until he realizes he is actually full. Here is the link for the breastmilk calculator, it will let you know how much he needs. Try to resist over feeding him, it will stress you out pumping that much and also make him bloated, which will result in a very cranky baby.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
Old 05-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well he's taken more than 4 oz for awhile now. But he is a big boy! I just weighed him pre and post feeding with me and he took about 6 oz on a normal feeding. I'll keep track of number of feedings and use the link you provided to get a better idea. Thanks so much!
Old 05-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
onion
Registered Users
seller

Ooof. I feel for you, and I'm watching this thread. My son is 11.5 weeks...not sure what he weighs now but at 8 weeks he was 14lbs and in 95% for height (24.5"). The other day I watched my husband bottle feed him with my breastmilk and he whipped through 3oz....and then kept crying so husband gave him 2 more oz... (he was bottle feeding bc I had to pump and dump for the evening due to a medical procedure - normally I always breastfeed him if I'm home).
And I felt my stomach twist. I can't usually pump that much in one session when I'm at work! And I was asking myself - did he really need those 2oz? I don't know the answer.

ISO: GMD green edge workhorses or prefolds! Bumgenius 4.0s, fixeruppers ok!
onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

While the kellysmom link is good--it really depends on your baby.

My 7 month old and 15lbs takes 3 4oz bottles while I am at work (occasionally only 2 depending on her napping schedule) and has been for the last few months. . We have not introduced foods yet. Daycare is really good about soothing in other ways if she is fussy. The pacifier works at daycare.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well this morning he had a huge session at 11:30 (hadn't eaten since 6 am) of about 6 ounces and then a lighter one at around 2 pm of 3-4 ounces. Now he's eating again at 3:30. The tricky part is my scale only does increments of 0.2 pounds so I'm having to guess a little on the weights. I'm not used to paying attention to how much/how often he feeds because I normally FOD. Luckily we have in home nanny care by a family member and she's really good at all things baby. He's also working fiercely on crawling and I wouldn't be surprised if he was going through another growth spurt.

I'm drinking mother's milk tea to help with my supply although I know baby does the best job of encouraging that. I figure if nothing else the extra liquid in my body can only help.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

they get used to the bottle eventually, trust me. i was so scared DS would never adjust to just eating 3-4 ounces because he could easily suck down 6-8, but i trusted what the LLL said and continued to only give him 4 oz.

The two main problems with breastfed babies taking bottles are 1. they are used to eating a long time, sucking for longer, so naturally if you are nursing 30 min and then given a bottle in 10 minutes, you will think you are still hungry and 2. Bottles flow a lot faster than the breast so they are sucking in more when they do.

Try and have whomever is giving him the bottle take breaks, switch sides, slow down and again sooth him afterwards. You really might stress yourself out trying to pump huge amounts if you keep giving him a lot in his bottle and their little tummies can only hold so much .

My almost 8 month old is 19 lbs and takes 3, 4 oz bottles at daycare every 3 hours everyday and is fine.

Last edited by PurpleDaffodil; 05-04-2013 at 05:50 PM.
PurpleDaffodil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil
they get used to the bottle eventually, trust me. i was so scared DS would never adjust to just eating 3-4 ounces because he could easily suck down 6-8, but i trusted what the LLL said and continued to only give him 4 oz.

The two main problems with breastfed babies taking bottles are 1. they are used to eating a long time, sucking for longer, so naturally if you are nursing 30 min and then given a bottle in 10 minutes, you will think you are still hungry and 2. Bottles flow a lot faster than the breast so they are sucking in more when they do.

Try and have whomever is giving him the bottle take breaks, switch sides, slow down and again sooth him afterwards. You really might stress yourself out trying to pump huge amounts if you keep giving him a lot in his bottle and their little tummies can only hold so much .

My almost 8 month old is 19 lbs and takes 3, 4 oz bottles at daycare every 3 hours everyday and is fine.
This! My DD never took more than 4 oz every 3 hours. DS is 4 months and 13.2lbs, currently takes 3oz every 2 1/2-3 hrs when I'm at work. He would certainly eat more if offered because he loves to comfort nurse and suck so whoever is feeding him has to do paced feeds with frequent burping and give him a pacifier after. If he overeats his reflux kicks in and he ends up spitting up and fussy.

Unlike formula where you have to increase quantity to increase calories and nutrition, bm changes as little one grows...sort of more bang for your buck.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

I have a 6 month old. We're at 3 five oz bottles for 10 he's of daycare. I just started rice cereal this weekend and will be asking the teachers to take a bit of milk from each bottle and offer cereal at lunch time. Also I am making homemade purees to send for the next month.

I don't know how much he weighs as his 6 month appt is coming up this week. He was 12.5 lbs at 4 months.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemama23 View Post
This! My DD never took more than 4 oz every 3 hours. DS is 4 months and 13.2lbs, currently takes 3oz every 2 1/2-3 hrs when I'm at work. He would certainly eat more if offered because he loves to comfort nurse and suck so whoever is feeding him has to do paced feeds with frequent burping and give him a pacifier after. If he overeats his reflux kicks in and he ends up spitting up and fussy.

Unlike formula where you have to increase quantity to increase calories and nutrition, bm changes as little one grows...sort of more bang for your buck.
yup yup!