Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Wendycrzymommy
Registered Users

How soon did u start exclusively pumping?

I've had the luck to been able to exclusively breast feed my 3 previous children. I always had them close by to do so and I was a stay at home mom till they were 1. Anywho I always wanted to go back to work at about 3 months and it never worked because they would never ever take any bottle at that point. I went as far as buying a $25+ for a bottle. This time I have no choice but to go back to work right away with this one. I want to feed breast milk but don't want the baby crying because she hates the bottle. I'm going to try to pump right away but I don't know if that will help or if it will make me dry up.

All you exclusive pumpers, how soon did u start that]?

Sorry so long

Advertisement

Wendycrzymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How soon did u start exclusively pumping?

Once you've established a good latch, its easiest to pump once after your morning nursing session, most women tend to get the most out of that timeframe. Then have your DH or friend give the baby one bottle a day while you pump again, in a different room, sometimes different house. This will get the baby used to the bottle, but still allow you to stock up some milk for going back to work. Try and establish both a nursing and bottle relationship.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Wendycrzymommy
Registered Users

Thanks.. I'm just so scared she will either get nipple confusion before I get a good milk supply going and not want my breast anymore or that she won't want a bottle at all.. Ugh crossing fingers it works out ok
Old 05-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Story&Addi'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started exclusively pumping when my daughter was around 5 days old because she had such a hard time latching on and would get really frustrated. I did have to supplement with formula (just a little bit) for about 2 days. Now she is 16 days old and I am pumping enough to have about 3 feedings stored in the refrigerator and I am freezing almost every other pump session. I am pumping every 2-3 hours only skipping one session during the night.
Story&Addi'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had no issues pumping and bfing dd1 but dd2 prefers the bottle and almost exclusively bottle feeds. She isn't a comfort nurser, she wants it fast and only when she's hungry. She's taught me that every baby is different lol

Eta she didn't get a bottle until I went back to work at 7 weeks.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 05-04-2013 at 07:19 PM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Wendycrzymommy
Registered Users

i see.. thanks for the replys ... every baby is different I guess, I hope mine is can take a bottle.. will take it day by day I guess.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
I first got a pump about 2 months post partum, but didn't start really pumping until 3 months post partum when I returned to work. I tried a couple different pumps before I found the one that worked for me. I was about to give up on pumping because I was getting zip from 3 different kinds of pumps, when finally my hubby convinced me to rent a good hospital grade pump. That pump saved my breastfeeding! I'm so glad I took time to try different kinds.

Our baby got his first bottle around 2 months of age, and I made sure to be out of the house for a couple hours when he got it. He took it just fine. I used the life-factory glass bottles, and their stage 1 nipples. Never had any issues. He definitely still preferred mom, but he never refused the bottle for more than the couple seconds it took to squirt a little milk in his mouth and get him focused on eating.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
emmettsmom
Registered Users

I started pumping 2 days after lo was born to encourage my milk to come in. After having all kinds of crazy issues, I had to start eping at about 4 or 5 weeks. As far as getting your lo to take a bottle, maybe just try introducing the bottle earlier than you did with your others (around 3 or 4 weeks). EPing is no fun in my opinion, so if you could bf when you're with lo and just pump when you're away, that would be best.
emmettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote