Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Registered Users
Supplies Needed?

Hello, I am a FTM due in Aug and I'm hoping to breastfeed exclusively. My question is- what do I REALLY/MINIMALLY need to breastfeed? If I don't go back to work, do I still need a breast pump? I want to be prepared ahead of time, but they are so expensive. I don't want to waste money on something I won't end up using.

Rockngrl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Lanolin cream and breastpads are my only absolute needs. I am a SAHM so never used a pump with my older kids but I am getting a pump this time because my insurance will cover it.
Mom to 3 big boys and one tiny princess
txmommytobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Supplies Needed?

Check your insurance, mine paid for a pump. I think it is necessary because you might get a low supply from illness and need some frozen milk.
A crunchy wife to B and momma of identical twin girls G & E , our rainbow
baby C born at home April 2013 and R forever in my heart.
twinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Super Moderator
Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

No pump here a Hand pump is fine and reasonable if you want one for rare occasions
Rena , Married to my German BFF T . Mom to 2 energizer bunnies L (12/2010) and E (10/2012). Come play with me: ISO/IHA, M2M,
2+2macht4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
My Mood:

I used a pump to get a freezer stash for when I went out or felt like trying a bottle. I rarely pumped with #4 as I did not have the time with 3 other kids around. I would recommend one in case you have issues that you need to pump to keep your supply.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Registered Users

Definitely lanolin! I made the mistake with my first of getting a vegetarian kind instead and nothing works like lanolin. I had a pump with my first bc I got a free one and left him occasionally with my best friend or my mom but barely used it and I think I have used a pump once with this baby and she's already 10 months so if you can't get one through insurance or wic, then I would wait and see if you end up needing one. Also I got a reusable set of organic cotton breast pads with I think 4, like 2 sets of 2, and never had to buy any more bc my milk was never overabundant and I never leaked unless I was away from the baby for a while which I never really was. So you may see how your milk is and have a set or 2 on hand in case you don't need a whole.bunch of.them. I know some people do tho.
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Registered Users

for me i like my pump, i got it for free but sometimes its a nice break to let someone else do a feeding. i leaked like crazy, the cloth pads didnt help much because i needed more absorbency. i didnt want to keep buying pads so i would just cover my nipple with my finger to stop it so i didnt need many pads. i also didnt get sore nipples so creams where kind of useless, but when ever lo teeths my nipples get a little irritated and its nice to have on hand just in case. i also really liked my cheap second hand nursing pillow for the first 3 ish months!
pround young SAHM to Owen 5-21-12 married to my soul mate bill
cassie.sattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Registered Users

I really like having a pump, but I do WOH part-time. In the very least, I'd recommend getting a hand pump as a "just in case." It is nice to have the option of giving a bottle if needed. For example, if you plan on giving any supplements (ie, vitamin D drops), I find it's easiest to give them with breast milk in a bottle.

In the very least, you need lanolin and breast pads. I also recommend a nursing pillow (boppy, etc.).
sunlightmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
Registered Users

For first time nursing mom I most definitely recommend lanolin and to start using it in prep at about 36 weeks. At least one to two comfy nursing bras, Boppy nursing pillow, nursing pads, and a hand pump (totally needed this when I got engorged when my milk came in and is also nice for milk for cereal or the occasions when you need to or if you leave them for any reason).
SAHM of Evonngelie (July '07), Mathias (July '10), and Aubryn (Feb '13)

jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Registered Users

Well, all you really need is boob & babe. Everything else is really just for your convenience and comfort.

Nursing pads are helpful - some are more prone to leaks than others (I prefer cloth).

Some people like lanolin - but olive oil is probably already around your house and is good too...and coconut oil is probably in your kitchen too and has medicinal properties like olive oil does.

Nursing bras are nice and make for convenient nursing, as do nursing shirts & tanks.

A nursing pillow is a nice to have too - I prefer My Breast Friend 10000% over the boppy.
Mama to a beautiful deaf son (bilateral cochlear implants - my baby can hear!!) born 6/13/08 and a hearing son born 1/7/10, who are intact, , , and !!
DC3 coming in July
mama2tommy is offline   Reply With Quote