Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #21
momma81
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How much $$ for a NB stash?

My "nb" stash has cost me around 150.00 - but I have a sewing machine and have been making good use of it.

I have 3 PUL covers of various brands (two are one sized, one is a Smart Bottoms size small) and NB fleece soakers that I sewed myself and paid next to nothing for. I have 9 one size pocket diapers (various brands), a dozen prefolds and a dozen osocozy flats. I am also sewing up about half a dozen NB sized winged prefolds and a dozen size small winged profolds. (The fabric for the soakers and prefolds cost me 21.00 total and will have a bunch left over to sew medium prefolds when the time comes).

This includes 6 snappi's (probably overboard, I thought I ordered a 3 pack and 6 came in the mail, wasn't gonna complain!) and half a dozen diaper pins.

I'm really really big on sewing my own, it's just so satisfying and the frugal aspect is also important, I have a hard time paying retail or full price for ANYTHING, muchless diapers.

Advertisement

momma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
momma81
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh! And wipes! I cut my own from cheap flannel. maybe 4.00 for 2 dozen?
momma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great suggestions in this thread. Don't forget about the excellent resale value on newborn diapers. Since they are used for a short time, you can expect to recoup a large chunk of your investment once your newbie outgrows it, or if you are having more babies, you will definitely get your money's worth!
Look into Imagine covers and AIOs on Nicki's Diapers. They are good products and reasonably priced. The "gently used" section sometimes has great deals.

Last edited by MadeofStarStuff; 05-06-2013 at 10:00 AM.
MadeofStarStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #24
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

These are all really good suggestions! Thank you ladies

Would I be disappointed with cotton babies or Imagine PF's if I have only ever had GMD or LL's? I would like to pay less then GMD's go for.

Also, anybody try out the Imagine NB AIO's? Do they really fit up to 13lbs?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

BTW: I love seeing everyone's money saving stash!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #26
BadgerGirl84
Registered Users

My stash is pretty much complete and I've only spent $35 or so.

I have 4 dozen prefolds (a mix of Imagine brand newborn and infant sized), 5 XS Thirsties covers and 5 S Thirsties covers.

I just need my snappis. Plus I'm registered for a couple of fitteds and newborn AIOs, but I think I can get by without those if needed.

I got my stash on Craigslist, but mostly this amazing rummage sale where a woman sold me 3 dozen prefolds and 8 covers for $5 total. I really lucked out. I personally don't see the point in buying a ton of AIOs for my newborn because I read such mixed reviews on all the brands and it all seems to depend on the size of your baby when she's born. But you can get a prefold and cover to hold in the poo and pee for most any size of baby it seems. (I'm a mom-to-be....so not an expert!)
BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #27
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post

I have 4 dozen prefolds (a mix of Imagine brand newborn and infant sized), 5 XS Thirsties covers and 5 S Thirsties covers.

I just need my snappis. Plus I'm registered for a couple of fitteds and newborn AIOs, but I think I can get by without those if needed.

I got my stash on Craigslist, but mostly this amazing rummage sale where a woman sold me 3 dozen prefolds and 8 covers for $5 total. I really lucked out. I personally don't see the point in buying a ton of AIOs for my newborn because I read such mixed reviews on all the brands and it all seems to depend on the size of your baby when she's born. But you can get a prefold and cover to hold in the poo and pee for most any size of baby it seems. (I'm a mom-to-be....so not an expert!)
Just a little warning for you, those Thirsties XS covers run big compared to most nb sized covers. I had small babies, all under 7 lbs., so I couldn't use them until they were bigger or the cord fell off.

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post

Wow, that is a great deal! I've already spent that much on 24 NB prefold seconds, lol.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #29
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We tried flips with DS and they did not fit until he was about 8 weeks. He was 7lb 13 oz at birth but had really skinny legs. It was cheaper for us with him to just use disposables until he grew into his flips. This time I was able to get 17 AIO, 5 pockets with inserts, 5 Fitteds, 10 covers, 20 prefolds and several doublers for $97. That was just under our very small budget of $100. You just have to be patient and keep checking for great deals on used diapers and ffs. There are some great mamas on here that are willing to help out a mama in need when money is tight =)
erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have much to add because I am buying stashes for my grandkids and, since they are gifts my dds will use for multiple kids, I am really not overly concerned about cost or resale value.

I did want to mention a couple of things though - if you are planning to have more babies, factor that in to your costs. A nice stash of good, cotton pfs and flats will last you for more than one baby, so it's not a "one use" kind of thing. It's nice to keep that in mind; this one nb stash will last you through several babies!

Also, I saw you mentioned Flips - dgd is wearing BGEs and Flips at 4 months with a really nice fit, and she is pretty petite (maybe 13 lbs and pretty short). They probably would've been doable on her a month ago - maybe longer. All that is to say that Flips will probably work for you after nb stage even if a little bulky.

Flips are easy to come across used, and it would really keep overall costs down if you started using OS covers early because you won't have nearly as many to buy in the long run.
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote