Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: need help dealing with night terrors

I think it was on here but I read some info about night terrors being related to having to go to the bathroom. My DD had one the other night and I was able to sit her on the potty (she's 2.5) and the second she went she snapped out of it and was able to go right back o sleep. I know your son is older, but that may help too. I don't know if the night terror is related to it, or the act of going pee wakes them up or whatnot, but it really worked and I was so greatful for that thread on here that mentioned that.

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjk View Post
I think it was on here but I read some info about night terrors being related to having to go to the bathroom. My DD had one the other night and I was able to sit her on the potty (she's 2.5) and the second she went she snapped out of it and was able to go right back o sleep. I know your son is older, but that may help too. I don't know if the night terror is related to it, or the act of going pee wakes them up or whatnot, but it really worked and I was so greatful for that thread on here that mentioned that.
Completely agree! My mdd has them until we put two and two together. She is 7.5 years old now and she still sleep walks and talks when she has to pee.
doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

So Interesting about the pee connection!! I've never heard that before.

OP, my ds used to have night terrors. They started at around 2.5. They would come every once in a while, but after we moved into a new apartment, (ds was then 4) he had them nightly. He would thrash around scream for help and there was nothing I could do to help him. It broke my heart. The next night i would happen again. sometimes more than once a night. After a bit of research we decided to change his bedtime routine.
We did a warm relaxing bath with Christmas carols (his favorite music)
A bedtime story with warm sleepy-time or other nighttime tea.
We bought a night time essential oil blend and ran it through his humidifier.
And finally, we had him start listening to a meditation podcast for children. It's called a sleep meditation for children, by meditation oasis. The author is Mary Maddox. Anyways, in less than a week his night terrors stopped completely. He has not had another one since. After about a month we stopped the tea and oil, but he still listens to the meditation to fall asleep. If he wakes up in the night, he will restart it for himself.

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 05-07-2013 at 06:35 PM.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Omg, I hate to talk about this subject. I've suffered from night terrors since very young. No, they don't make sense. Sometimes it can be like an image or a feeling. You get hot simply because your heart is racing out of fear. I have physically attacked people, including my mother, who tried to shake me out of it. I will scream at the top of my lungs, sometimes because I can't breathe and I feel like I am about to die. It's awful, awful, awful. My father suffers from nightmares but not night terrors. It really helps to keep the room temperature down, avoid heavy foods right before bed because they can cause heartburn, and to stay away from anything scary. I had an over active imagination as a kid. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. And stress can bring them on more so, but it always seemed more complicated than that. So sorry you're dealing with that.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
MrsCAH
Registered Users

Yes they are not awake when this happens (like sleep walking), best to leave him be. If it gets worse you could put a baby video monitor in his room just for peace of mind so you can still check on him and know he's ok without interfering.
MrsCAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #16
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjk View Post
This was me. I went sleep walking as a young child (outgrew it by puberty). I wasn't scared or screaming, but I wasn't coherent and awake either.

DS1 on the other hand, had them during his afternoon nap for a while. He was just overly tired and I didn't have a way to fix it due to my work schedule at the time. He never had them on the weekends (when he could sleep) or during summers when I was off. His lasted about 15 minutes and the best thing we could do was just make sure he didn't hurt himself and allow it to pass. He would fall back asleep, sleep for another 15, and then wake up happy with no memory.

I've heard that for some kids it is diet related. I've heard of vanillan (artificial vanilla) being a culprit.

OP, it may just be a growth spurt that needs more sleep than normal too.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
babyike2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son had night terrors that started around 12 months. Sleep deprivation will cause them and a vacuum cleaner will stop one while its happening. I'm sure my neighbors thought I was nuts vacuuming at night in the end, he needed his adenoids out because they were causing sleep apnea which was causing the terrors. He's had a couple in the last 3 years, but only when he was super ill. They suck that's for sure... Don't engage at all as it makes them last longer. If the vacuum doesn't work, white noise should.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum