Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thinking of switching pumps. Advice? Recs?

I have the medela freestyle right now, but due to an oversupply (still lol) and exclusively pumping Im thinking of switching to something else. My nipples always feel pinched while pumping :-( and Ive heard reviews that the freestyle doesnt empty you very well (because it operates off of batteries). I used the medela symphony while my little lady was in hospital and LOVED it, but cannot afford a couple thousand dollars for a pump lol! This will likely just be the pump I keep at work (where I pump most) so it doesnt have to be hands free....just effective at emptying (Ive had mastitis twice :-( and relatively pain free. Any recommendations.

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
manniewcu
Registered Users
seller

Re: Thinking of switching pumps. Advice? Recs?

I had the Medela Pump in Style advanced. It worked great for me. It plugs in (also had a battery pack if needed) and always had great suction. I never felt like it pinched me. I did have to get a smaller shield this last time and that helped in the comfort area. You could try new shields on the one you have (if you can on that model, I'm not familiar with it). It may help with the pinching.

(I actually have mine for sale here on DS if you want to check it out.)
manniewcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've changed everything on this pump from flange sizes to membranes to battery and tubing. Literally everything but the motor!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by amb2j; 05-08-2013 at 07:23 PM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Moms with pinching issues usually need BIGGER flanges. I would also highly recommend some kind of lubricant breast milk works well or Lansinoh so it is not dry breast tissue against pump. I used the Medela Pump in style. The medela Lactina is great and you can sometimes find them used on EBAY. The Lactina is a multi user pump so no worries there. The Lactina is what a lot of places rent. It is not something you want to carry around but to leave at work it would be great! Ameda Purely Yours is also really good and is a little cheaper then the medela products.
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
manniewcu
Registered Users
seller

Oh no! Sounds like it might be time for a change. Sounds like the one you have is more for occasional pumping, and not everyday use. The one I have (Pump In Style) is made for daily use so I guess that's why it worked so well. Some places like Babies 'R Us do breastpump rentals. They usually rent the hospital grade ones. You can see if that option is available near you as well. Or maybe try the local health department to see if they rent some as well.
manniewcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ameda purely yours is hands down the gentlest on your nipples. I've used a symphony and a pisa also. It does have a weaker motor and makes a beeping noise but I am pretty happy with it. Also do you lubricate your areola before pumping? I use organic olive oil and it really helps.

Sorry to hear you are still having oversupply.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok. Question...I've lubed my nipples and or areola before pumping and although its tons gentler on my tissue, I find the lack of friction created by lube makes it difficult to fully empty my breasts (I get them only half empty at best with lube) so I stopped. I've used olive oil and lansinoh too. Is this common? Am I doing something wrong? If I could lube, most my issues would be solved! Suggestions???

Old 05-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you holding the flanges tight against your breasts? That's what I have to do or it's like my areola is too slippery and I am unable to pump effectively. I tried using Lasinoh to lubricate and it didn't work at all for me but a tiny bit of olive oil didn't cause me issues.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Okay So I tried the lube the last 3 pumps (varying amounts of olive oil) and made sure everything was ok with the suction (holding flanges tight to my chest) as suggested and same effect i was 15 mins into the pump and only had 1 oz each breast but pumping was comfortable. I had to clean off the oil though to get the remaining 4 oz per breast in the last 10-15 mins of pumping- very uncomfortable!

Just more info: when I finish pumping I always feel like I have more milk in the tissue under my arms. Milk sometimes is still flowing (slowly) at the end of a 20-30 min pump session too. Don't know if this is "normal" or "ok". Talking to lactation today and will update.
Grr! I pumped 20 oz this morning (only 2 hrs ago) and already feel FULL again and think I'm getting another clog( so frustrating!!!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another vote for the Ameda Purely Yours.