Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Babywearing a Down Syndrome Baby ?

Hi there. My best friend gave birth last week to a beautiful baby boy, who they learned after birth has downs syndrome. Im wondering, is there anything specific to know about babywearing a DS newborn? He has very low muscle tone, so is it safe? If so what are the best carriers? I'd love to bless her with a new one for her baby shower but want to make sure its right for their needs. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
jengojengo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Babywearing a Down Syndrome Baby ?

The Ergo with infant insert gives really good support. Babywearing is good for all babies!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
saturn
Registered Users

You might want to take a look at thebabywearer.com, there's a forum there on babywearing disabled and special needs kids. From what I've read there, Down's syndrome babies can definitely be worn, but the wearer needs to be extra careful about positioning because DS babies have overly flexible joints and are less likely to fuss if they are in a bad position. I don't think there's any specific carrier that would be better for a low tone baby, but I tend to prefer ring slings and wraps for newborns so that might be a good place to start.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son was a preemie when I wore him, and he had very low muscle tone. Things to consider with this would be something easy to get him out of if he stops breathing, and something that keeps him aligned if possible. I found that I really liked the moby or sleepy wrap simply because it stretched and was easy to get him out when he had episodes of inability to breath (which had nothing to do with the way I carried him.) He did well, and loved it. If he was fussy, I'd put him in the wrap and 30 seconds in, he'd fall asleep.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
gaakoh
Registered Users

My 10 month old has down syndrome. You do need to be careful when they are little due to their low muscle tone and hips. I have used the Boba Wrap, ring sling, and Beco Gemini with no problems. The k'tan was designed by a lady with a child with DS. So that might be a good one to start with. I would say whatever she finds comfortable to wear would work best.
gaakoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Many carriers will work, I have an 8 year old with ds and I wore her from birth. We used ringlsings, hotslings, MeiTai's, the Babyhawk was my fave, we used an ergo, beco butterfly and she did well in every single one.
Have your friend check out information about frogging babys legs and maybe try on a few since everyone fits into these carriers differently.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote