Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Update!! How accurate are 8 wk sonograms?

So, after an incredibly stressful week, baby is doing great instead of a "no doubt of an impending miscarriage" like the OB was sure to happen. I couldn't be more overjoyed!!

I took some online advice and went into the ultrasound with a full bladder. They say that helps imaging a forward tilted uterus and it really did! It was a 100% better image. They saw everything this time, and it was all there thank goodness!

I have been put on scheduled rest until the 16 wk ultrasound, because there is some bleeding around the sac. The new OB thinks it's because the sac is being irritated from being partially over the cervix. Not sure how that is going to happen since we are moving next week and there is so much to get done!!

I did have an apt. with the old OB, but she didn't have the guts to face me, and I don't blame her I was steamed after the ultrasound!!

Does anyone have any experience with placenta previa? She did say that it sometimes moves off, and that so early in the game it's hard to tell where the placenta will grow. I am hoping that it moves up a bit.

They also put me "back" on the progesterone LOL!

New DD is the 25th of Dec.!

----------------

I just had my 8 wk transvaginal sonogram and I was wondering how accurate they are as far as images. I have a forward tilted uterus and the sonogram tech was having a hard time imaging the baby. However, she did see enough to say that there was no fetal pole or yolk sac. Babies heart rate was 137 and was measuring to date although the gestational sac was smaller than it should be.
How did the baby make it so far without a yolk sac?

I'm crushed that they are so certain this baby is not viable . I keep reading stories about how one week later they could see things better, but at 8 wks they should have been able to see it right?

Advertisement

Last edited by rumblepurr; 05-17-2013 at 05:16 PM.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How accurate are 8 wk sonograms?

I really hope you can get a second opinion, mama! The yolk sac should be there until about 10ish weeks, I gather, but maybe it was just really hard to find...? The fact that there was a measurable heart rate sounds good.
Hoping for good news for you!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:

what cricket said----exactly what I was thinking.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
ktktbird
Registered Users

My Mood:
I was thinking the same as the pp's. Isn't the yolk sack to be used until the heart starts beating so it can get nourishment from the blood circulating? That doesn't make much sense to me... Hoping and praying that thy are wrong.
ktktbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it vanishes over time. but at 8 weeks its was probably hidden not gone quite yet. dont worry. if heart beat was there, your baby is fine
Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh i just saw they say the baby is not viable. listen that is so not true.
I had a scan at 7 weeks and one dr didnt see a fetal sac, but I did. I had a second opinion 2 days later and it was there all along
Old 05-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The fetal pole is the spinal cord I thought. It makes NO sense that you wouldn't have a fetal pole but have a heart beating.

I wouldn't throw in the towel yet. It sounds like you just have a baby that likes to hide! Don't worry! Those tend to be the best babies!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
tinytushi
Registered Users
seller

This is easier said than done but I would not worry yet. I went in at 6 weeks 5 days to be told there was no yolk sac or fetal pole. Went back at 7 weeks 5 days (?) and had a heart beat of 130ish. Still no yolk sac. I was told to expect the worst as I have a history of numerous losses. I am currently 35 weeks with my "expect the worst". Hope this will give you some hope.
tinytushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thats a very great positive story to follow thru with.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Yeah, I just can't give up hope yet. I keep seeing that little heart beating! They wanted me to stop the progesterone supplements, and to come in for a sonogram next week if I didn't start bleeding before then. But I haven't stopped taking them yet. I'm hoping and praying that when we go in next week they will see everything is just fine, and it was just a weird blip.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote