Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Best carrier for plus size

Hi there! I am looking for a carrier that will work well for my family. So far we have a Baby K'tan, but haven't had much luck with it. I have a hard time getting comfortable in it and give up every time.

I am looking for a more structured carrier and have been considering Boba 3G and Beco Butterfly II carriers. I would like something that would work for quite a while (the little guy is only 5 months old right now). Both myself and my husband are fairly tall and plus size, and DH would like to use it as well. So...Boba, Beco, or something else entirely?

Advertisement

Last edited by MandaElaine; 05-08-2013 at 08:12 PM.
MandaElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
lilkidteach
Registered Users
seller

Re: Best carrier for plus size

I really like my Onya. I am plus sized and short. My husband is tall (though not plus sized). If fits both of us well. I carry my 26# 15 month old in it and we are all comfortable.

http://www.onceuponasling.com/onya.php
lilkidteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never heard of that carrier before, but I really like it. It looks like it has good coverage for the baby and good padding for the mom. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have an olives and applesauce one and I love it!! Im larger and there's still room. The seat in that one has darts so it gives a wider seat for an older child. My sil has a beco and her daughter is small but still fits my carrier better because of the darts.
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Dragon Companion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know you said you are looking for more of a structured carrier but have you tried just a straight up wrap? With my two younger boys we used a gypsy wrap and loved it. I am tall and plus sized as well. We used it till the boys hit over 30 pounds and I could still handle carrying them around the zoo.
Dragon Companion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itiswhatitis1984 View Post
I have an olives and applesauce one and I love it!! Im larger and there's still room. The seat in that one has darts so it gives a wider seat for an older child. My sil has a beco and her daughter is small but still fits my carrier better because of the darts.
I've never seen that one either. So cute! I've found a really good deal on a Beco on CL, so I am thinking about getting that to see how we like that kind of carrier. If we like it, I may purchase a more expensive one. I am definitely bookmarking that one though. It looks very comfy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Companion View Post
I know you said you are looking for more of a structured carrier but have you tried just a straight up wrap? With my two younger boys we used a gypsy wrap and loved it. I am tall and plus sized as well. We used it till the boys hit over 30 pounds and I could still handle carrying them around the zoo.
I actually really love the idea of a wrap. I planned to get the K'tan, then get a wrap. After having so many issues with the K'tan, I am not sure about a wrap. They look awesome on other people, but I am worried about getting it to look right on me. The fabric on the K'tan seems to bunch and can be quite unflattering, so I am worried that the same thing would happen with a wrap.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
IowaGold
Registered Users
seller

I'm size 18 and have a kinderpack with plus straps, a boba, and a beco Gemini. The kinderpack is the most comfortable. I still like the boba but it does rub a little under my arms when I'm just wearing a light shirt. DD grew out of the beco a few months ago but it was reasonably comfortable when she still fit.
IowaGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGold View Post
I'm size 18 and have a kinderpack with plus straps, a boba, and a beco Gemini. The kinderpack is the most comfortable. I still like the boba but it does rub a little under my arms when I'm just wearing a light shirt. DD grew out of the beco a few months ago but it was reasonably comfortable when she still fit.
I am a size 18 as well. How big was she when she grew out of the beco? DS is very tall and nearly 20 pounds already, so I am worried about not getting much use out of it. I am also talking to a woman online that has a Boba for sale, but the Beco is cheaper and local.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
cdnewbie2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My SO is 6 ft and wears 3x-4x shirts and the Ergo Sport fit him. The sport has extra length in the straps than the regular Ergo. Honestly though he doesnt use it because he prefers to use stroller, but for many people Ergo is the way to go.
cdnewbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
davidsgirl777
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My husband and I are both good size. We love our Baby Beyond Borders half buckle! It's a structured carrier with a buckle bottom and thick mei tai straps. It gives so much flexibility and support for both us and our five year old. I have used it for 3 years and words don't do it's justice.