Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
22 month old Ds is constantly screaming--help!!

I need advice. My Ds is 22 months old. Last week he started this thing where he will randomly let out a blood curdling scream and just keep doing it. Each time he watches my reaction and keeps an eye on me. If I don't look at him he comes up and screams in my face or taps me/turns me around and screams at me. It happens more often when I can't give him my undivided attention....like when I'm making dinner, driving, after I lay him down for a nap, or if Dh and I are chatting while playing with him. It's driving me absolutely batty. I've tried tapping his mouth gently but firmly and saying, "Yelling is not a nice sound and hurts momma's ears. Talk nicely please." He smiles and does it more though sometimes he stops and kisses me then talks nicely. I've tried being nice. I've tried being firm. I've tried time-out. I've tried spanking. I've yelled (lost my temper). I've tried ignoring it. Sometimes if I get him into something really quick and take his attention away from screaming he'll stop but most of the time he realizes what I did and will scream again. My poor neighbors probably thought I was murdering him today when I had the windows open to air the house out. He's so stubborn and I can hardly handle the screaming. I'm 7 weeks preggo and very grumpy this time around and though I'm doing well with handling myself for his sake (to be a good example), at times I just want to scream myself. What would you try? Any suggestions? Help!

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: 22 month old Ds is constantly screaming--help!!

I think I would remove him to a safe room and let him do his screaming their. Each time he comes out take him back until he stops screaming. Don't make it an issue and try not to react as he is obviously trying to get your reaction.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My daughter has just started doing this (she'll be 2 in a few weeks). She debuted it on the train the other day. At rush hour. The evening one. I totally considered screaming louder than her, because I'm petty like that.

So far, it seems it's pretty experimental for her. She's done it a few times in the past few days.

The only thing that works is a) not reacting to the screaming but being calm and slightly condescending - "Oh, chick, be a big girl, won't you? Only little babies scream, and then only because they can't talk".

And then b) distracting her with conversation - "You know how to talk, don't you? Can you tell me what a bird says? Can you count my fingers? What colour shirt are you wearing today? Did you put it on yourself? Oh, baby, won't you go over there and bring me a book that we can read together?".

Also, it's when she's been outrageously tired, or hasn't eaten well. Maybe there's a pattern to when your kid lets loose with the screaming?

Last edited by jam's mum; 05-08-2013 at 10:44 PM.
jam's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

Oh no my child must have called yours to tell her how to scream. Mine is 21 months & does this nonsense & it drives me up the wall & she knows it. I try to put her down where I can see her & let her have her fit but now I've done it so much that don't even work anymore. I'm just waiting for the day somebody calls the law on me cause she does it while we're out a lot. I had a few who I think we're going to but after confronting me they saw it was a fit not me being mean to her. I'm ok with it if she's hungry or not feeling well but the not getting her way I do not like it. I hope it's a phase is all I can say.
lilannies mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
MrsCAH
Registered Users

Trying this and that won't give you the result you want. Consistency is key. I would go the supernanny route and do timeout and completely ignore any behavior (talking or yelling) until time out is over (unless of course they move from the spot). Once he learns it doesn't get your attention anymore, he'll stop doing it....I hope. : )
MrsCAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. We've been ignoring it (mostly when it's just me and Ds here) or when my hubby's home we quickly say "Oh no! Whisper time." in a whisper and my hubby and I will whisper to eachother. Most but not all of the time he'll join in on the whispering. Over the last two days, this has worked but otherwise he just keeps doing it until he gets the picture that mommy's not taking the bait. I really hope this stage passes quickly!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
mamalusbear
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son went through a phase like that, in general he's a pretty vocal little guy. I did what I could to ignore it, I just have to walk out of the room because attention, positive or negative is what fuels him. I picked up a pair of noise-cancelling headphones at home depot (they're around $20) and I keep them handy.
mamalusbear is offline   Reply With Quote