Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
DD and AF

So my oldest dd got her first AF last week and I have some questions for you mamas (or papas) that have been there/done that. Firstly, I had a stash of cloth ready for her but it turned out to be too small. I thought that first AFs were pretty light and sporadic? Yeah right, poor kid had eight straight days of normal, adult-like bleeding. So she had to use mine. Is that okay do you think? I mean, of course they are getting washed but is it bad to share a stash? I am getting more but if I have to have completely seperate stashes this is going to be hard. So those are my two major questions. A: is it normal for her period to be so heavy right away and B: Can we use the same stash? Oh and one more question. I didn't want to overwhelm her right away so I told her to just put her pad in the bucket. I've been rinsing them and everything for her to save till we wash them. Should I be making her do this from the very beginning or is that too much do you think? Like I said, I don't want to overwhelm her.

The funny thing is that I figured I'd be all weepy about my oldest dd getting her first AF. Instead all I could think of is "man, now I have to wash these darn things TWICE a month!" LOL

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DD and AF

A: mine was super heavy from the get go...and it sucked to your dd

B: I think it would be fine to share as long as neither of you have an infection of any kind.

as far as rinsing...I have never rinsed my pads and never had stains...of course none of them were obv (they stain super easy).
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
A: mine was super heavy from the get go...and it sucked to your dd

B: I think it would be fine to share as long as neither of you have an infection of any kind.

as far as rinsing...I have never rinsed my pads and never had stains...of course none of them were obv (they stain super easy).
I always rinse with cold water, mainly because we have to go to the laundromat now and I really don't want to sit there all day to do a cold rinse first, then a hot rinse. And yeah, I don't remember if mine was heavy right away or not but when I used disposable products I practically hemorraged. I don't want that for her so I basically said it's cloth or...........cloth LOL. No really, I told her that it would be better for her. She is okay with it. She doesn't know any different.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I have been dealing with bleeding girls for a few years. One uses cloth at times.

I wouldnt share. Just too skeevy for me. Lol. Get her her own and a wetbag or wetpot to use.

I wouldnt wash them for her. If she wants to use cloth she needs to be able to keep it nice and clean herself. When they use disposables they need to wrap them completely and dispose of them correctly.

And my daughter got her AF the week she turned 11. She started as a heavy bleeder and still is. It gets everywhere.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Mine was super heavy in the beginning. And TMI, but clots were normal.

I don't always rinse. If it's important for your washing (understand not wanting to hang at the laundromat), do it for her the first couple since you're fine with it. Once the whole thing is less devastating and confusing to her, and more normal, teach her how.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Oh, and it's very possible that you'll eventually be on the same schedule. Nature is weird that way! Also, I was irregular for a while, so getting her her own could be a good idea.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I agree that waiting until it's not so new is a good idea. Mine and ODD's cycles overlap by a couple days, so we have our own stash. I would think it weird to use the same cloth, but I don't think there is a problem with it until you can get her her own stash.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My periods were super, super heavy from the get-go, and yeah, clots were very normal for me.

The rest is a little complicated for me to answer. I don't use pads as my primary protection b/c, as a really heavy bleeder, they're pretty gross to me. I think I started using tampons 2 or 3 years after AF started when I was 11...honestly, the world kind of became a lot more accessible once I switched, and it was phenomenal to not have my life and activities revolve around AF for 10 or so days a month. I actually kind of resented my mom for not giving me the information and the option from the beginning.

My mom is not an "all natural" kind of lady, and I've tried reusable products, but I don't find most of them to work as well for me (I do use pads as back up for my heaviest days & do prefer mc then). Even having tried them, I still get icked out by most reusable products...I really don't think I would have been able to handle it at the beginning. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to use the same stash...it's no different than if DP and I used the same cup, and just the thought of it made me throw up a little in my mouth

She may very well want to use the same kinds of products as you...but you might want to think about talking with her about the variety of products out there, disposable and reusable, and letting her try what she thinks would best suit her needs...I just remember being that age--I couldn't swim, I couldn't do any activities that caused me to be away from a bathroom for more than 1-2 hrs, I had stains on my bed & undies regularly. It smelled. And frankly, it was a little traumatic, and I didn't want to talk about it any more than I had to; I didn't think I had any options in products, and I had bad side effects (lightheadedness, migraines, etc). Anything that made it more comfortable would have been so appreciated.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My periods were super, super heavy from the get-go, and yeah, clots were very normal for me.

The rest is a little complicated for me to answer. I don't use pads as my primary protection b/c, as a really heavy bleeder, they're pretty gross to me. I think I started using tampons 2 or 3 years after AF started when I was 11...honestly, the world kind of became a lot more accessible once I switched, and it was phenomenal to not have my life and activities revolve around AF for 10 or so days a month. I actually kind of resented my mom for not giving me the information and the option from the beginning.

My mom is not an "all natural" kind of lady, and I've tried reusable products, but I don't find most of them to work as well for me (I do use pads as back up for my heaviest days & do prefer mc then). Even having tried them, I still get icked out by most reusable products...I really don't think I would have been able to handle it at the beginning. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to use the same stash...it's no different than if DP and I used the same cup, and just the thought of it made me throw up a little in my mouth

She may very well want to use the same kinds of products as you...but you might want to think about talking with her about the variety of products out there, disposable and reusable, and letting her try what she thinks would best suit her needs...I just remember being that age--I couldn't swim, I couldn't do any activities that caused me to be away from a bathroom for more than 1-2 hrs, I had stains on my bed & undies regularly. It smelled. And frankly, it was a little traumatic, and I didn't want to talk about it any more than I had to; I didn't think I had any options in products, and I had bad other symptoms (lightheadedness, migraines, etc). Anything that made it more comfortable would have been so appreciated.

Last edited by carriek38; 05-10-2013 at 04:03 AM.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies! I did talk to her about tampons and she has no interest lol. I will work on getting her her own stash. She has small ones but I didn't think it would be so heavy. I will get her a a wet bag and after a couple cycles I will show her a little more of the care