Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: DD and AF

No advice about cloth but AF was horrid when I started, heavy and really painful. I don't remember when it got better but it did.

Advertisement

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
beckyc
Registered Users

Wayyy back, when I started, my mom DID suggest cloth and gave me hand stitched mama cloth.

I baulked. Like total raging, eeewe, yuck, you want me to touch it?????NOWAY, yadadada. Never mind the fact that it was coming fm inside my own privates. The very idea of having to rinse it gave me the bleepers. I tried it once and gave up until 4y ago! NOW, of course, Im asking everyone to use cloth!

Maybe have her use pads once and see how she feels? Give her 6-8mos time to decide what she wants to go with....but all the while keep on preaching about MC!
beckyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think all first periods vary. I wouldn't be concerned......it sucks but atleast she knows what it is all about from the beginning. Better imo to get it from the beginning then ease into it and think it will always be light.

I agree to let her know of all options. It could be hard at school if she can't just toss it in the rest room. Also, I did not want anything to do with tampons at first mention from my mom, but when I realized all that I missed out on without them I quickly changed me tune. I don't think my girls will be that way b/c they see me use them and it isn't a big deal or strange to them.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really love my cloth pads but if I had a teen girl, I'd offer the options of disposables. I had a REALLY heavy period, starting in fifth grade and I was so embarrassed to be changing pads at school and everything leaked. I would have died if I had to deal with smuggling a wet bag and cloth pads in and out of the bathroom on top of the cramps and leaking.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Pp covered anything I had to say so just thought to add if you get her one color or style and you a different style or color it shouldn't be any more difficult than sorting underwear and way easier than sorting socks.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I forgot. My dd has and prefers cloth pads. However at school she is not allowed to carry a purse or back pack with her so prefers sposie pads at school. Much more discreet as cloth, fresh or used, would have to be stuffed into her pocket. Not very practical at all.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Ok too many to quote. I was sort of kidding when I said she had to do cloth. I did tell her about tampons and I told her about disposable pads but I also told her that if she is anything like me she will be miserable using disposables. I used to be pretty much bedridden the first two days of it. It was awful. She is also homeschooled so no issues there. I just really wanted to know if a heavy first AF is normal and of you all thought I should have get wash them herself.thanks ladies
Old 05-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Totally common for her flow to be heavier than what you expected, and yes it is typically considered safe to share pads.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads View Post
Totally common for her flow to be heavier than what you expected, and yes it is typically considered safe to share pads.
ok good. I just can't remember my first AF at all. Glad to know its normal
Old 05-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think you should get her her own stash, especially since you might start cycling at the same time. (I see you said you are working on it.) For now, while you're building her stash it seems okay to share as a temporary thing. Just wanted to toss in my two cents.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote