Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Getting started with EC

How do you get started with EC? At 7 months, is DS too old?

Advertisement

ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Getting started with EC

I don't think it's too old! We started with DD after 6 months (not exactly sure when because we've never been consistent with it). For us it was a little difficult because I swear that my DD gives NO cues. So we would just let her go diaperless and sit her on the potty every now and then, and sign potty every time she'd go on the potty. It wasn't long until she was signing potty every time she had to pee or poo (well, not EVERY time, but you KWIM). So signing has been the key for us. SHe's almost 15 months now and we only have diaperless days every now and then and she goes through phases where she'll use the potty all the time or she'll use the floor for an entire day. LOL But I'm okay with it since we're not taking this super-seriously. I figure that we benefit in two ways from it- 1) I have less diapers to wash (and NEVER any poopy ones anymore because wa almost always make it to the potty for poo!), and 2) she understands what the potty is for and how/when to use it, so we're one step ahead from still being 100% diapered, KWIM?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
spathakis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we started Ecing at 6 months also and my DD 23 months old tells me may be 2 times and day that she needs to go.
ALWAYS TELLSme after
i amhoping to be done in a few months with herbeing Fully PLed
goodluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn76 View Post
I don't think it's too old! We started with DD after 6 months (not exactly sure when because we've never been consistent with it). For us it was a little difficult because I swear that my DD gives NO cues. So we would just let her go diaperless and sit her on the potty every now and then, and sign potty every time she'd go on the potty. It wasn't long until she was signing potty every time she had to pee or poo (well, not EVERY time, but you KWIM). So signing has been the key for us. SHe's almost 15 months now and we only have diaperless days every now and then and she goes through phases where she'll use the potty all the time or she'll use the floor for an entire day. LOL But I'm okay with it since we're not taking this super-seriously. I figure that we benefit in two ways from it- 1) I have less diapers to wash (and NEVER any poopy ones anymore because wa almost always make it to the potty for poo!), and 2) she understands what the potty is for and how/when to use it, so we're one step ahead from still being 100% diapered, KWIM?
spathakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we started dd at 4 months she is 9 months now.....from 4.5 months-8 months she would say "fppppppppp" when she needed to potty and we used 1-2 dipes a day, and a night time dipe....but now she is trying to walk and is too busy being curious :lol: but we still never have poopy dipes she just doesnt tell us right now.....so we use maybe 4-5 dipes a day but she still understands what the potty is for and when we put her on it she will use it so we think it is successful
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
melirod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, I don't think it is ever too late. I started ECing DS at 4 mos, he is now 9mos. It may be a bit harder than starting earlier because your LO has gotten used to eliminating in a diaper. You could join the EC Yahoo group, many informative mamas there. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eliminationcommunication/ Also if you are wondering where or how to begin, you can pm me! I'll send you the links to some great sites that I used to get started.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started with my newest baby at 4 days and has been going smoothly, 99% of her poops have been in the potty, but we are not even close to that with pee, but having more naked time with the weather being warmer will help me learn her ques....I did however start my son at 9 months, he was able to talk and walk though so he would tell me when he had to go "caca" and I used squirt toys one filled with warm and one filled with cold water to get him to learn the sensation of peeing(similar to when he would always need to pee in the bath) and he was day trained by 14 months and full trained by 17 months....