Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
MommaSweet's Avatar
MommaSweet
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Taylorsville, NC
Posts: 158
Newborn Stash for a Newbie

This is my first time doing cloth, regretfully didn't with ds1. With ds2 we plan to cd from day one in the hospital, I've spent MONTHS researching what to get and now it's crunch time (due July13) I went from wanting a full stash of Softbums with bamboo pods to wanting to do covers and prefolds. Since I have 6 Softbums shells I want to use them as covers instead of buying covers, not sure how well this will work. I want to have a stash of 36 Imagine "SmartFit" Bamboo Prefolds in size small (as soon as they stock back up) for the first stage. I haven't used them, or anything else for that matter, and I would love to find someone who has and their opinion on them. I want to do bamboo for absorbency and its other qualities, seeing as how ds1 is 2 1/2 and a SUPER heavy wetter, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Sorry for the length, this is my first "real" post lol
Thanks in Advance!!

Advertisement

MommaSweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
may11mama2011's Avatar
may11mama2011
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 29
Re: Newborn Stash for a Newbie

Just make sure you'll be able to Snappi the smartfit prefolds bc that works best for runny newborn/ebf poo's
may11mama2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
MommaSweet's Avatar
MommaSweet
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Taylorsville, NC
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by may11mama2011
Just make sure you'll be able to Snappi the smartfit prefolds bc that works best for runny newborn/ebf poo's
I should be able too, I'm getting the smalls instead of xs for that reason and so they can last longer (ds1 grew super fast as a newborn and still is, 95%tile)
MommaSweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
lovebabies's Avatar
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 1,629
My Mood:
That sounds great! I haven't used bamboo, but pfs are wonderful for newbies! Prefolds are my main stash for all sizes. With 36 pfs and 6 covers you should be set!
__________________
Wife to the love of my life, and Mama to four precious little ones and a baby coming in October!
lovebabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
DaisyAnne's Avatar
DaisyAnne
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 47
Re: Newborn Stash for a Newbie

I found it useful to try some different ones on my LO before buying a ton of one thing. One particular reason- my baby HATES wet diapers and has super sensitive skin, so we found anything without a stay-dry layer (in particular our prefolds) were absolutely the wrong thing for him. That's the main advice I kept hearing, was just to try out different kinds before buying a bunch. I know that may not be super helpful, but in our case it worked best!
DaisyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
DaisyAnne's Avatar
DaisyAnne
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 47
Re: Newborn Stash for a Newbie

Just to add another thing to my last post... my sis-in-law bought a ton of prefolds and some covers intending on cding. When it came time, she tried them out and really didn't like them. I really feel that she could've found some she liked if she kept trying diff kinds, but I think at that point she didn't want to invest any more money if it wasn't going to work out. I'm not saying the first kind you buy won't work, I just found that our baby has his own specific needs with cloth diapers, so I think it's good to be prepared to try out diff ones to find what fits your baby.
DaisyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
MommaSweet's Avatar
MommaSweet
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Taylorsville, NC
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyAnne
Just to add another thing to my last post... my sis-in-law bought a ton of prefolds and some covers intending on cding. When it came time, she tried them out and really didn't like them. I really feel that she could've found some she liked if she kept trying diff kinds, but I think at that point she didn't want to invest any more money if it wasn't going to work out. I'm not saying the first kind you buy won't work, I just found that our baby has his own specific needs with cloth diapers, so I think it's good to be prepared to try out diff ones to find what fits your baby.
If this system doesn't work we plan to find till one does, it's a lighter investment to find something that'll work than it will be to get disposables in our case ds1 got and still does get a rough rash with his pull ups and I'm not down for all that again lol. I really wanna stick to my guns with cloth too many benefits to not.
MommaSweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
DaisyAnne's Avatar
DaisyAnne
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 47
Re: Newborn Stash for a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaSweet View Post
If this system doesn't work we plan to find till one does, it's a lighter investment to find something that'll work than it will be to get disposables in our case ds1 got and still does get a rough rash with his pull ups and I'm not down for all that again lol. I really wanna stick to my guns with cloth too many benefits to not.
That's great- I love CDing! We did disposables for a few months then switched over for different reasons, one being my poor baby's sensitive skin. It was a big eye opener to see the difference in his skin when switching to cloth even though we had been using the "sensitive" disposables.
DaisyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
Mandan914's Avatar
Mandan914
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 193
You will love the SoftBums as covers! We used them from birth (mainly echos) and they were amazing. Our ds did need stay dry as well so I just used the mini pods or half a fst covered with a fleece liner ( i bought a yard of cdmf micro fleece at diaper sewing supplies) cut it to size of my shell lining worked great and cut down on ebf stains and contained most messy poo so the cover was reused 1-2 times before washing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4216013232.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	143829
__________________
Mandan est 9-14-07 Mom of 2 little boys

newborns, infants, toddler, nights during pting
www.softbums.com
Mandan914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.